Why do people eat salmon?!

B

BBQSMYBFF

i have been pondering this for a long time and it seems that if there is a fish category that a lot of people, most people, and sometimes all people do salmon..

i know there must be some people out there who enjoy it but why is what i am asking.

living on the shore and fishing my entire life my diet is based around seafood.

i will eat just about anything from the sea but i refuse to eat salmon. it has horrible oils and taste like a nasty fish if that makes sense.

i have tried it smoked, broiled, baked, fried, and any other way you could think of having it. i have had it brined, rubbed, and all the alike.

my question to you is why do you use salmon in competition!?!?

if i was a judge and someone served me salmon i could not even eat it. and i am not joking with that. i could not even try it as it is so foul to my taste buds.

any input would be great.. thank

Different taste buds. Salmon is one of my favorite fish.

I don't understand how people can eat peppers - green/red/yellow/orange. The smell of them makes me nauseous, but yet many other people love them. :-?

Yep, different strokes for different folks.
I hate Salmon and love them peppers.

wow..

salmon is one of the few fishes I CAN eat... sweetness and firmness is what makes it palatable to me. I feel the way you do about many others of the flaky type seafoods. Im ok with all shellfish, and firm steak type fish(sword, tuna, etc) but put orangy roughy in front of me and I go for the salad. Guess its just the tastes buds.

Salmon is DA BOMB!! Are you just getting nasty salmon? I'll put Copper River Salmon up against any other fish out there...there ain't none better!

i have been pondering this for a long time and it seems that if there is a fish category that a lot of people, most people, and sometimes all people do salmon..

i know there must be some people out there who enjoy it but why is what i am asking.

i will eat just about anything from the sea but i refuse to eat salmon. it has horrible oils and taste like a nasty fish if that makes sense.

i have tried it smoked, broiled, baked, fried, and any other way you could think of having it. i have had it brined, rubbed, and all the alike.

my question to you is why do you use salmon in competition!?!?

if i was a judge and someone served me salmon i could not even eat it. and i am not joking with that. i could not even try it as it is so foul to my taste buds.

any input would be great.. thank

I like Salmon, for the one primary reason that you seem to despise. The oils. It's a source of flavor and makes Salmon a little more forgiving when you cook it.

As for your comment about judging....If you aren't prepared to taste everything, and give it a fair shot then judging isn't for you. Not a slam, just a statement of fact. There are a lot of dishes, and a lot of flavors that I'd prefer not to taste....but if I sign up to judge I'm obligated to do just that and give the cook a fair shot. Fair is fair.

There's only two things that smell like fish...
and one of them's fish.
blank.gif

Bell peppers aren't much better.

There's a reason why I'm not a judge :p

I see that BBQSMYBFF is from New Jersey. It's possible that you've never tasted fresh Pacific salmon. Steelhead, Sockeye and King are some of the finest fish species available anywhere!

And I definitely agree that you should recuse yourself from judging any category where you are unable to fairly judge ALL entries. We turned in a beautiful smoked Salmon in an Anything Butt contest earlier this year that garnered all 8s and 9s from five of the judges in taste, but the sixth gave us a THREE. It is very disappointing to a cook team to see a judge display that kind of personal preference on the score card. If you don't like something fine, don't eat it OR judge it!

i like salmon and heck the bears eat it and grow up to be and stronge .. cant be that bad lol

Try it grilled over alderwood...you'll understand! :p Or better yet...cedar planked with a little Dizzy Pig "Ragin' River"...

IMG_4840.jpg

it has horrible oils and taste like a nasty fish if that makes sense.

Redemption, after 49 years, a person that likes fish that thinks it is a nasty fish too...Amen!

Edit: Did not see the judge comments...Just to add my 2 cents on that, I would judge it, my problem as a judge trying salmon would be...It could be the best piece of salmon in the world and I would not know it, it taste nasty to me, that is where the team would get hurt. In a case like that I try and err on the high scoring side. Is that right, wrong or there is no right answer?

What do other judges think?

Last edited:
I loves me some wild salmon. Stop eating that farm raised test tube fish, lol!

And if you have I feel for you for not having the palatte for it. Has great oils for the heart.

Edit: Did not see the judge comments...Just to add my 2 cents on that, I would judge it, my problem as a judge trying salmon would be...It could be the best piece of salmon in the world and I would not know it, it taste nasty to me, that is where the team would get hurt. In a case like that I try and err on the high scoring side. Is that right, wrong or there is no right answer?

What do other judges think?

As I posted above, I think the only fair thing to do is to excuse yourself from judging any category that may contain an item you will not eat. That includes both foods that you can't stand the taste of and foods you are allergic to. Yes, it's a drag for you not to be able to judge Anything But just because you might encounter a salmon entry, but it is the only way to be fair to the cook teams.

I am a judge who isn't thrilled with the flavor of liver. However if I am presented with an entry containing foie gras for example I will make every effort to judge the dish fairly without allowing my own personal taste to bias my scores. If I discovered I had an allergy to peanuts I would remove myself from judging the dessert category.

Of course that's just my opinion. This is probably a good topic for Phillip or one of the other Reps to chime in on for the official KCBS policy.

There's only two things that smell like fish...
and one of them's fish.
blank.gif
:p
If either of the two smell like fish, they aren't fresh...run away!!

Seriously, I'm not a big fish fan, but I'm crazy for salmon. Big Bro Smoke and I were prepping salmon for a recent event and I opened a piece that smelled like fish. Without even examining it, I could tell there was something wrong with it. Sure enough, bloodline wasn't completely removed. If salmon is fresh, there is no smell to it.

As I posted above, I think the only fair thing to do is to excuse yourself from judging any category that may contain an item you will not eat.

My point was not that I would not eat it, just that I woould not know well prepared salmon to non-well prepared salmon.

And no, I am not going to step away from the judging table based on what someone might turn in, you roll the dice with your AB entry, if you think it maybe something that the main stream does not like, you better think twice about entering it!

I have no love for salmon either. If forced to I'll eat it, and yes there are various degrees of bad from not so bad to really bad. And for those wondering, it's not just because I've only had bad salmon, I've eaten some of the best. I also can cook salmon that folks rave about, but I don't eat it too often. The only way I like salmon is smoked, preferably from HERE :wink:

living in the midwest where salmon has to be flown in makes it a special occasion fish for us. My wife dearly loves her salmon. The fact that you are on the coast and its readily available to you may have a little to do with it. My wife wont eat crappie, catfish or bass. All three are readily available whenever I go fish. but she sure loves salmon go figure. Maybe its the way I cook it that makes her love it. Maybe its the irish cream sauce i put on it.( i could throw the fish away and eat the sauce) But im thinkin we love what we cant have.

i think the mainstream pretty much likes salmon. if you would not know well prepared salmon from non-well prepared salmon, how do you feel you would be able to judge it fairly?

Salmon is awesome. I have smoked some Salmon that is out oif sight. Salmon cream cheese and bagles- a great way to start the day

I have heard all the arguments about alaskan salmon washington salmon etc but I still think the Great Lakes salmon is just as good.I just hope I get to fish more often next summer.

Back