• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fast Brisket - Not on purpose

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Would appreciate some comments the brisket times here. Use my UDS, 10# packer, lower rack, steady temps at 230, fat cap down, injected with beef broth, rub with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Now...after 5 hours, temp was 160 then wrapped. Went to breakfast with my daughter and grandkids. Got back 2 hours later and this bad boy was pegged at 203 degrees. Quickly off and into the cooler for a couple hours. Was SOOOOOOO overdone, no way to slice or cut to fix burnt ends. What did I do wrong here? Maybe from lack of experience but I couldn't believe how quickly this cooked. I double checked the temp gauges and all was fine. :confused: :confused: :icon_smil

Sounds like you had a temp spike. Was it dried out or burnt? Or did it just fall apart?

Bigmista, I always look at your posts and you are why I built my UDS. I LOVE IT! It just fell apart. Could not slice except the very middle of the flat. The rest fell apart. Tasted good and wasn't gawd awful dry. I am puzzled.

Don't ever be upset about brisket falling apart. Chopped beef is a good thing! All I can suggest is do more cooking on the top shelf when possible. Did you open more vents before you left?

I will do another brisket this weekend and use the top rack. I didn't open any more vents and the temp was the same when I got back. Do you think injecting made it cook quicker. Also, this brisket was really laced with a lot of fat. More so than the few others I have done. Thanks for your help.

I know the temp was too high, which just happened. However, when that happens would coolering it less help or wrap in foil and let cool without putting in the cooler? Just a thought. Thoughts don't last long in my pea brain so I think I'll have a cold beer now. :-D

Every piece of meat is different and that can be a mind boggler. At my first comp a couple of months ago I figured my brisket would be done about 11:00. When I checked it at 7:30 it was at 200. I knew I had to hold it a long time but I was just planning on pulling it off and coolering it.

A good friend... told me I had to stop it from cooking any more so to just put it on top of a table with a towel over it. The point being to bring down the temps as soon as possible. It totally salvaged that brisket. After a little while I put it in the cooler and it was just sliceable at turn in time.

Just a thought if it happens again...

Brent, thanks as I was wondering if they might be an option. I have a lot to learn but even the mistakes are edible...how cool! All the more reason to cook two.

I cooked with Buba and Jeff at the contest in Sedalia and I know they can cook a 13 lb brisket in about 3 hours lol. Those drum smokers just get after it. I'll bet you didnt do anthing wrong, they just concentrate and hold heat well.

Last edited:
It was overcooked but it was still farking good. Quicker cook time for sure. Needed to check temps but more importantly check tenderness with a probe for feel. Learning from all the brothers. Thanks.

wonder if you had an greass fire

was the wrap job good or did the fat drip on the fire and flair up

just thinking out loud

and i am with bad boys bbq to on this :cool:

york

York...who knows. I didn't see any evidence that happened but I was gone for a couple of hours. Maybe what Jordon said that the UDS just got after it on this one and the cut of meat was just different. I know I really enjoy cooking on this thing. My wife even asked if I would build her one and paint it pink. How cool it that. I will do just that!

My wife even asked if I would build her one and paint it pink. How cool it that. I will do just that!

That is pretty cool. My wife's starting to believe in the UDS - but I don't think she's ready for her own drum! Maybe one day :biggrin:

Biffleg, build it and she will be ready...go for it! When the wife wants to participate in your passion don't waist time thinking about it...do it. It's really exciting!

I cooked with Buuba and Jeff at the contest in Sedalia and I know they can cook a 13 lb brisket in about 3 hours lol. Those drum smokers just get after it. I'll bet you didnt do antthing wrong, they just concentrate and hold heat well.

I know of others who do that as well. Just got to watch the temps closely as you have little room for error when cooking one that way.

Meat Burner Man,
Put an oven thermometer on your rack with the meat. Your smoker temp gauge may not be right.
Calibrate, calibrate and calibrate.
Your smoker temp on that grate with the meat may have been 300.
Smoke On!!!!!

I find this to be a quicker cooker in general. Briskets done in a third of the time. I also found that the wrapping portion of the process is much quicker and has to be watched very closely. It will jump in a hurry.

For those of you cooking fat side down, what are you seeing in regards to how much fat melts away.? Are you trimming anything off b/f putting it on.?

I think my wife wants to farkin stuff me in my smoker....for good!!

So...count your blessings brother congrats!

Kinda repeating what others have said, but my cousin in cajun country uses a drum smoker (somewhat), and it cooks similar to his cajun microwave except with smoke flavor. ie: it cooks faster even at same temps. I think it is because the smoke and heat doesn't flow over it like an offset, but kinda surrounds it like a pressure cooker. If you find the grate temp was correct, just chaulk it up to "fast cooking cooker" and a "great hunk o meat".

And I guess you know now, don't cooler something that is already too hot, stop the process of cooking ASAP. Throw some good sauce on it and eat it on a bun... yum! Practice Practice Practice!

Back