Banga Cauda

parrothead said:
I'll bet you can find anchovy paste there. Just look a little harder. It's on the top shelf. Ok, get someone taller to find it for you.

I resemble that remark. Had to have the stock boy get it down for me. And Yes, Parrothead's recipe is some good chit. I just dipped some crusty, home made bread in it and devoured.

Gonna make some at the contest tomorrow. Should be really good as the temps drop in the evening.

Hey Bull, maybe she will spring for a new smoker for you since she likes your new cooking hobby. seems like its been done here before!

I made a 1/2 batch tonight. Good chit! The wife is threating me if it causes adverse affects later.

I tried to make a "lighter" version. I used I Can't Believe its Not Butter, and 98% fat free soups.

I finally found it. Anchovie Paste in a tube. Found it at my regular store who just added and Italian Food Section albiet small but finally their.
I bought a tube and brought it home. I shall try it in the next batch of Banga Cauda.
Heck they even have Tomatoe Paste in the tube now also.

P.S. It was at a shelf height that I didnt require assistance to find it.

Mike

in all the markets around here, its right next to the tuna fish, canned salmon, etc...

So....will the REAL Bagna Cauda please stand up..

Which is it? butter, oil. garlic and anchovies?....... or mushroom soup, anchovies butter and garlic?
Or is it like fatties, sausage is the only basic ingredient so you can adjust for your own tastes.

BBQchef33 said:
in all the markets around here, its right next to the tuna fish, canned salmon, etc...

Not here Phil. I looked at the canned fish section extreemly well today. Nope..........no anchovies. I dont even think you can order them on pizzas here either. In another aisle they had only a Mexican section. Today amongst the huge crowds of shoppers, in the last 2 weeks they have added an Asian section and and Italian sectionin the same aisle. OMG... Michigan use to be the first in innovation for automobiles but being in the suburbs..........they are really behind in the food selections.. But the did add a live sushi bar? or counter last year. Go figure.

Mike

wnkt said:

Which is it? butter, oil. garlic and anchovies?....... or mushroom soup, anchovies butter and garlic?
Or is it like fatties, sausage is the only basic ingredient so you can adjust for your own tastes.

REAL, AUTHENTIC, ITALIAN BAGNA CAUDA is==evoo, butter, garlic, and anchovies mashed into paste and added to the rest of the stuff, with some salt. This is warmed, and served as a dip for veggies.

However, the Brethren version varies somewhat.:mrgreen:

Brothers version of Banga Cauda is the only one ive ever had and it seems to be fine with me. Maybe someday I will try the other recipe. Im sure they both eat very very well.

Mike

Well I made a 1/2 batch last night for the neighborhood happy hour and only a few liked it - and very well. It's not for everyone. one person called it the ultimate stink dip. My wife asked that I not make it again. I think it's great. Bull - I'll send you a tube or two of the paste since I cannot make it anymore. PM me. Maybe we should all 'chovie Bull.

wnkt said:

The REAl version is the first one. The one that I make is an Americanized version that is very popular with all of the Italians that live in my area. You almost can't get together in this town without somebody making bagna.

This stuff sounds great to me. I will try some this week. I hope there is some left for bisquits the next morning!!

Made some last weekend and over did it on the paste, My wife was less than impressed. Oh well it was great on veggies, and I think I will do a 5 cheese pepperoni pizza and use it as a "white sauce".

tommykendall said:
Well I made a 1/2 batch last night for the neighborhood happy hour and only a few liked it - and very well. It's not for everyone. one person called it the ultimate stink dip. My wife asked that I not make it again. I think it's great. Bull - I'll send you a tube or two of the paste since I cannot make it anymore. PM me. Maybe we should all 'chovie Bull.

Thanks Tommy Kendall, the Chovies arrived today in the mail.
It will definately be put to good use over the weekend.
:-D :-D :-D
Mike

No sweat, but now that I read this thread closer it appears that you actually found anchovie paste locally but not anchovie flats. So I sent you the wrong thing? I have anchovie flats - eat them straight out of the can with beer. Good chit. If you have a Smart&Final, or Costco, or Sams Club locally you should find anchovie flats there.

Voice of reason

This stuff tastes like chit

Smells like ass

Sorry Tom, Cremed garlic cheese chit is an acquired taste.

willkat98 said:
Voice of reason

This stuff tastes like chit

Smells like ass

Sorry Tom, Cremed garlic cheese chit is an acquired taste.

So aren't teabags which you seem to gobble right up :cool:

tommykendall said:
So aren't teabags which you seem to gobble right up :cool:
Yes I do

I have really bad teeth

I have had multiple jaw surgeries (sp)

Tea bags (remove the staple) are recommended to chew on after jaw surgery.

Tea produces Tanic Acid, which is a natural blood clotting agent.

Thanks Tom!

I knew you'd contribute more than the blue pill diet!!

(TIC Laugh (Tongue in Cheek))

Back