UDS Drum... What's acceptable prior contents?

sigpi906

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm looking through threads and gettign differing opinions on what is acceptable for a UDS.

Is ANY 55gal acceptable? Even ones used for oil/gas? It seems that grease/oil/gas would never lose their "smell" even after a good burn. Is this the case?

Must it be food grade?

There are brethren who have made UDSs from drums containing VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) - Gasoline, Fuel, Solvents, etc. Their consumers have not croaked or gotten ill.

There are brethren who have built UDSs from drums that contained cooking oil or fruit juice. Their consumers have not gotten ill.

Using a drum that contained VOCs should be washed thoroughly with soap and/or Simple Green *before* performing a burnout or liner grind. All it takes is a spark in a dirty drum to ruin your day/life.

Clean, clean, clean is the word for those VOC drums.

I have no idea what was in my old drum before I got it. I just made sure to clean the hell out of it, including removing every last bit of that nasty red liner. I've cooked a ton of Q in it and I'm still alive as well as those who've eaten my offerings.

EDIT- I HIGHLY recommend finding yourself an unlined open head barrel with a lid. Getting that liner out is a real BEEOTCH even with a burnout!

Last edited:
Anything but nucular waste Food grade= the dreaded liner I went through that deal once.... never again!

So it seems like the food grade line is a B**** to remove, even with a burnout. So it seems that finding the barrel that had the most "neutral" contents prior to acquiring it will be the least amount of work. I read someone who got one that had sandblasting material in it. No liner and no VOC...

Thanks for the stories about people using VOC containers. I'd rather not clean that stuff out if I don't have to, but glad to know it can be done.

There are some food grade un-lined barrels out there. I got a couple last fall at a recycling plant. They held "Bio-degradable Kosher Coconut Oil" for whatever reason. They were sealed tops and a Weber lid fit perfect.

I am using a mineral oil barrel. Without cutting off the top yet and just looking through the top hole as far as I can tell it is unlined, either that or it has a silverish/gray liner. I still plan on taking a torch to it regardless.

Back