• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

So, I had these dry beans you see...TUBESTEAK MADNESS!!!

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well, started a pound and a half of dried navy beans and a 12 oz hunk of salt pork cubed to make pork and beans last night around 9:00 PM in the slow cooker. Turned them off at 5:30 and drained. (Got a whole quart of bean broth!!!) Now, they're cooling in the fridge to firm up for step two...

This is gonna make a nice soup next week...

Rummage rummage rummage...tomato sauce and paste, check. Brown sugar and molassas, check. Onion? Onion? Onion, check. Dijon mustard, ketchup, both check. Double D's hot bbq sauce, check. Bacon, thick sliced, check. Wait! Hometruckin reminded me I was forgetting the Colemans...Check.

OK. Sauce is mixed and on simmer. Initial taste confirms a good tanginess with a wee bite and just enough sweet. We'll see how it is after the sugar has a chance to melt into the sauce and blend.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Before you ask, I've been cooking for 45 years and I don't use measurements for stuff I make all the time. Having said that, I started with a few tablespoons of the bean broth with a few chunks of the skin and fat and stirred in a small can of the tomato paste. Added about 2/3 of a 15 oz can of the tomato sauce, about 3 tbs of molassas, a couple generous squeezes of ketchup, a generous squeeze of the dijon, half tbs of powdered mustard, 4 or 5 packed tbs of brown sugar and a half jar of Double D's Hot BBQ Sauce. Usually I just chop the onion and mix it in with the beans then add sauce. Think I may just add it to the sauce this time while it simmers...

You knew I was going to ask :-D

I'm the same way. I've been forcing myself to take notes since lots of folks want recipes.

Taking notes is a pain, ain't it? Heck. I never even took notes in class, hs or college. Relied on my memory and paid attention to the lecture. Worked for me anyway. If you're writing, you ain't listening very well. Now though, that's become a handicap...:rolleyes:
This time I remembered approximations though, because I had just done it.:thumb:

Well OK! Beans...

Add the sauce and mix a bit...

Gonna use one of these when I bake them on the kettle. They're more expensive than the standard disposable pans, but the reinforcment and handles are well worth it for something like this...

[URL=http://s1041.photobucket.com/user/redhot696/media/Guerry%20TD/pan_zpsc2bd3042.jpg.html]
pan_zpsc2bd3042.jpg
[/URL]

After about an hour everything was cooked through including the bacon.

Wasn't browned at the cooking temp though

So, a couple minute cheat under the broiler...

A little rest, time to do the buttered toasted buns.

Back