Why not just use an oven

Well, OK, I'll admit if you're one of those crazy "Hot and Fast" weirdo's, then the oven is pretty good. But for good old fashioned low and slow, nothing, and I mean NOTHING can beat the crock pot.:thumb:

BUT...

The SMART Hot and Fast folks use a Pressure Cooker instead of an amateurish (at best) oven...and let's face it...a Pressure Cooker is really just a Hot & Fast Crock Pot if you think about it.:nod:

So...Crock Pot wins every time when you boil it all down, really. The oven is best suited for cookies, boxes of cake mix and frozen pizza.:rolleyes:

LOL you are not going to drag my into a argument/informative thread
I love braciole. as far as I'm concerned if it taste's good I don't care

In the winter on the few things I end up wrapping, I will gladly throw it into the oven. The other 11 months out of the year I typically just keep it out in the smoker because I don't want to heat up the house for 2-3 hours. Baking bread irks me those eleven months enough as it is.

Beats the chit out of watching the oven without a beer in your hand. :biggrin1:

That ... Plus why waste electricity when you already got an outside " oven " going ...Its how ya finish the cook Man !1 Beer in hand by your bbq Rig.

Do it

I would do this all the time. I would use the UDS and IQUE110 to smoke for six hours for my pork shoulders - 6 pm to midnight then wrap and throw in the oven at 200 and by 7am it was done and perfect. Let it rest and shred it for sandwiches. And you get a good nights rest!!!
It's easy and you use less fuel in the UDS. Natural Gas is cheap these days.

Well, OK, I'll admit if you're one of those crazy "Hot and Fast" weirdo's, then the oven is pretty good. But for good old fashioned low and slow, nothing, and I mean NOTHING can beat the crock pot.:thumb:

BUT...

The SMART Hot and Fast folks use a Pressure Cooker instead of an amateurish (at best) oven...and let's face it...a Pressure Cooker is really just a Hot & Fast Crock Pot if you think about it.:nod:

So...Crock Pot wins every time when you boil it all down, really. The oven is best suited for cookies, boxes of cake mix and frozen pizza.:rolleyes:

So, you gave up the Woodpile, and decided to whack-a-doodle Q-Talk. :blah: :rolleyes:

Back to the OP, after the first few hours of smoke, there is no real reason to not move the meat to an oven, other than feeling all cavemen and drinking beer. There is just something primal about cooking meat over fire. It may taste the same to everyone else, but if you are the person who cooked the meat over a fire for hours, it tastes way better than meat cooked any other way.

That, and I can't see myself sitting in a lawn chair in my kitchen, drinking beer next to the oven.

CD

There was nothing wackadodle about my post. I don't know why we're talking about ovens when finishing in a crock pot would be better.

That's not to say I haven't finished one in the oven before. I have. But...I would finish one inside the same way I would start one inside...in the Crock Pot!:thumb:

I don't know why you all can't see how serious this really is. I wasn't joking around one bit.

Crock Pot > Oven

Ain't no shame in the oven game lol as said above just make sure it goes into the oven only after you are sure it will not absorb any more smoke flavor

Here's the proof for all you non-believers, or those just ignoring sage advice for some silly reason.

Google "BBQ Crock Pot" and you find actual products...because Crock Pots are a suitable BBQ environment with their moist heat...
crock-pot-bbq-pit.jpg

Google "BBQ Oven" and you don't see any products, just crap about people making outdoor kitchens and such garbage. This is because a "dry heat" oven is not on the same playing field as a smoker.

End of story. Pretend otherwise if you insist.

But it's a shame that a site full of "supposed" bbq experts are recommending ovens without mentioning crock pots instead. It's a shame. You may laugh and think it's silly...until you think about it.

You should all be ashamed.:tsk:

Actually never thought of a crock pot next time I get rained on I'm going to try this crock pot for myself moist heat definitely makes more sense than the dryer oven heat

Finally, one more thought, to beat this horse tender.

The ONLY way you are going to finish it in the oven with halfway decent results is with foil.

Why is that exactly?

Because the foil makes it a MOIST HEAT ENVIRONMENT.

Now then, you have a Crock Pot, right? It makes a moist heat environment without the hassles of foil, leaks, and all that BS. Would you put meat in your Crock Pot and put your Crock Pot in the Oven?

NO!

Because that would be farking STUPID wouldn't it?:der:

So, you can foil and cook in the oven, making a rather poor Crock Pot simulator, or just use your farking Crock Pot.

It's your call. Some people just like making things really farking complicated for some reason.

The #1 rule of BBQ, there are no rules. But that does not mean that common sense does not apply.:thumb:

If I am cooking a single brisket I often finish in oven if it has the color I am looking for and don't want to tend the fire any more. If I don't plan on wrapping on the smoker I don't wrap in the oven. Works great.

Usually I don't transfer to the oven because I am cooking more than I can fit in it. Also, while I love the house smelling like a smoke house for hours after I am done cooking my wife prefers her vanilla scented air fresheners.

I have used the oven on those occasions when I foil but I have to admit I think I am going to try the crock pot. I never thought of that

Bout a month ago i was trying to do a couple butts in the middle of a blizzard and it finally got to the point where I couldnt keep enough heat going so I moved them into the oven for the last couple hours.

Just a little advice, even if you have them foiled put a drip pan on the rack under them because after drinking beer for the duration of the cook and being a little sleep deprived you may not notice the small hole in the foil and you will spend the next day trying to clean burnt pork fat out of the bottom of your oven.:roll:

Another piece of advice, if you have a 1/2 inch of melted fat in the bottom of your oven and your a little hung over dont get lazy and use the self clean cycle, you will have to hear about the smell for another week:shocked:

Donnie hinted at it earlier; one of the many techniques used when you have more meat to cook than smoker capacity is to smoke as many as you can for a few hours, move them into an oven (foiled), and reload your smoker. Meaning, as many have said and the initial poster asked presumably, heat is heat (within some reasonable measure, as bibubyte said)..

just to throw some stink in the game.....I thought all those using insulated verticles with electronic controls etc instead of stickburning offsets were using ovens......:caked: (ducks and runs)

As all answers on this forum goes back to...... build a UDS. Any UDS I have built will hold temperature much more steady than any oven. And you do not have to tend it.

In foil, out of foil, it does not care.

Finally, one more thought, to beat this horse tender.

The ONLY way you are going to finish it in the oven with halfway decent results is with foil.

Why is that exactly?

Because the foil makes it a MOIST HEAT ENVIRONMENT.

Now then, you have a Crock Pot, right? It makes a moist heat environment without the hassles of foil, leaks, and all that BS. Would you put meat in your Crock Pot and put your Crock Pot in the Oven?

NO!

Because that would be farking STUPID wouldn't it?:der:

So, you can foil and cook in the oven, making a rather poor Crock Pot simulator, or just use your farking Crock Pot.

It's your call. Some people just like making things really farking complicated for some reason.

The #1 rule of BBQ, there are no rules. But that does not mean that common sense does not apply.:thumb:

That, or put your butt in a big dutch oven, and then throw that in the oven :bow:

I started out using the oven crutch all the time. I was only smoking one butt at a time, and a friend told me about smoking a butt for 4-5 hrs. on the smoker after dinner, then wrapping and put into a half pan in a 225° oven so you can sleep. Works like a champ and I still do this when it is cold outside or if I just want to replenish my stock of pulled pork in the freezer.

Using a half pan covered with foil prevents the pork fat leaking into the oven issue too.

Back