Trader Joes tri tip

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
They just built a Trader Joes that's on my way home from work.

I have never really been in one, thought it was yuppie, trendy, whatever.

But I have been slowly checking it out, they do have some different decent stuff there, why I have been going back is because of their charcoal

Well today I discovered their fresh meat dept, honestly I did not think they had one but its pretty interesting.

I saw tri tips. Now I know about the tri tip hype, I used to buy tri tips years ago, but I remember them being a lot bigger, maybe 5-6 lbs, I dont know.

Anyway, I decide to buy one. We are going to our cabin this weekend for a quick trip and I thought it would be cool to make it for the wife and I.

Its small. about 1.5 lbs, $6.99 lb from what I have been reading lately this is the going rate.

When I got it home, I was looking at and it said "product of Australia". Really? that seems so strange to me!!! Cant they just get them in the US?

I am sure its fine and will be great, just shocked the hell out of me

thats all...

thanks

Can't comment on the Australian tri tip. But 1.5 lbs is about normal for a nicely trimmed tri tip. Untrimmed, they rarely weigh in at more than 2.75 lbs. Whatever you were buying that weighed 5-6 lbs was not a tri tip, unless there were two whole untrimmed roasts in the package.

They marinade it for that price, right?

Want a great item from TJ's? You've got to try the pumpkin seeds in the nut aisle.

Can't comment on the Australian tri tip. But 1.5 lbs is about normal for a nicely trimmed tri tip. Untrimmed, they rarely weigh in at more than 2.75 lbs. Whatever you were buying that weighed 5-6 lbs was not a tri tip, unless there were two whole untrimmed roasts in the package.

I am taking 10 years or so ago.

I have no idea what it was, probably a sirlion tip of some kind

not really the point, just talking about what I bought today

thanks

Biggest one I've ever had was 5# on the dot......they're never that big nowadays, 3.5 is very large ( untrimmed)

I have no idea at ROO is

but, I have been known to be dense

thanks

KangaROO.

We have a TJ's about a mile from us and I've never found anything there that we didn't like. I haven't tried the tri-tip since I get them at Restaurant Depot, however.

Their rack of lamb is very good. It is pre-seasoned with garlic and rosemary.

Also, the Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup is excellent. We buy two boxes every time we stop there.

KangaROO.

We have a TJ's about a mile from us and I've never found anything there that we didn't like. I haven't tried the tri-tip since I get them at Restaurant Depot, however.

Their rack of lamb is very good. It is pre-seasoned with garlic and rosemary.

Also, the Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup is excellent. We buy two boxes every time we stop there.

Oh ok thanks

I did see a lot of lamb there. I will check out that soup. Is it frozen, or how does it come? I am not familiar with TJ's at all yet. Seems like a neat place. I have been buying their frozen fish fillets, salmon, tuna, etc. Been liking that at lot

I have not yet seen tri tip at my local RD, but I did not really look for it either

Oh ok thanks

I did see a lot of lamb there. I will check out that soup. Is it frozen, or how does it come? I am not familiar with TJ's at all yet. Seems like a neat place. I have been buying their frozen fish fillets, salmon, tuna, etc. Been liking that at lot

I have not yet seen tri tip at my local RD, but I did not really look for it either

It's in a box by the canned soup.

Here is a fun site with lots of good info on TJ's products.

http://traderjoesrecipes.net/

I've been buying USDA Prime Tri tips at Costco for $4.79 a pound they are the big vacuum pack but a great price. There's about six to eight in a pack anywhere from 1.5lb to 3.0

I've been buying USDA Prime Tri tips at Costco for $4.79 a pound they are the big vacuum pack but a great price. There's about six to eight in a pack anywhere from 1.5lb to 3.0

I have never seen them at Costco where I live

Just came across it at Trader Joes, that why I was asking

thanks

That just sounds like a crazy great deal! Any prime beef cuts by me are in the area of $14.00 lb.

TJ's is an excellent store. I do like the charcoal and the meats. Yes, Australia produces a great deal of beef and they can be very competitive on price and quality. I have rarely been disappointed with anything from Trader Joe's.

The beer, wine and booze prices are usually good. Snacks are delicious too.

Sounds like a great find. Im driving 50 miles this weekend in search of my first tri-tip in many years.

I love Trader Joe's. We had one in Annapolis, but not where I live now. Have to drive 3 hours to the closest one :sad:

Try Smart & Final, they have Tri Tips in vacuum pack untrimmed for $3.06 a pound.
Hay TeamGreen you going to the High Desert Music Festival and BBQ Contest?

Back