• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mesquite Smoke Underrated?????

In the beginning I used mesquite and over smoked everything!! Smelled great but damn it was over powering. Now I have learned to throw a chunk on early then finish with cherry or apple. I like it in small amounts.

I have yet to figure mesquite out. Sometimes I wonder if there are different species of it like cherry.

A few years ago while visiting a resort near Phoenix, I stepped outside while we were waiting to be seated for dinner. I'll never forget it. The air was perfumed with a magnificent smell. It's hard to describe- there were scents I'd never experienced before. It was surreal and grabbed everyone waiting to experience it. Went back inside and asked the guy who said, "we have a fire pit outside and they're burning mesquite."

I've never had anything in my pit come close to smelling like that. Even green mesquite. Some of the bag chunks have almost been off putting.

Had it rained earlier? The creosote bushes after a rain produce one of the greatest smells on earth. It's heavenly. I have 3 mesquites in my backyard and haven't noticed any smell from them. My creosote bush is a different story.

Had it rained earlier? The creosote bushes after a rain produce one of the greatest smells on earth. It's heavenly. I have 3 mesquites in my backyard and haven't noticed any smell from them. My creosote bush is a different story.

I don't know. It's hard to describe but the air itself seemed was scented. Maybe that was it.

I have yet to figure mesquite out. Sometimes I wonder if there are different species of it like cherry.

A few years ago while visiting a resort near Phoenix, I stepped outside while we were waiting to be seated for dinner. I'll never forget it. The air was perfumed with a magnificent smell. It's hard to describe- there were scents I'd never experienced before. It was surreal and grabbed everyone waiting to experience it. Went back inside and asked the guy who said, "we have a fire pit outside and they're burning mesquite."

I've never had anything in my pit come close to smelling like that. Even green mesquite. Some of the bag chunks have almost been off putting.
thats because they were probably cooking with the real deal honey mesquite from west texas. so many people get the mesquite cousin which is huisache and acacia and think its mesquite but jokes on them. gotta be careful because store bought marketing rules and laws are very vague and have lots of gray areas. we dont have much access to the real deal down here in central texas, but we have a crap load of pecan and post oak, which alot of west texas people and other states wish they had. to this day the best bbq i have ever eaten was cooked with honey mesquite cooked over wood that was burned down to coals.

I have never used mesquite for smoke wood it I have been using mesquite lump in my Vision kamado and love it. Sparks and pops we I use a torch to start the fire, doesn't when using starter cubes. Forty pound bag for $20, thought it was worth the try, definitely was worth it!

thats because they were probably cooking with the real deal honey mesquite from west texas. so many people get the mesquite cousin which is huisache and acacia and think its mesquite but jokes on them. gotta be careful because store bought marketing rules and laws are very vague and have lots of gray areas. we dont have much access to the real deal down here in central texas, but we have a crap load of pecan and post oak, which alot of west texas people and other states wish they had. to this day the best bbq i have ever eaten was cooked with honey mesquite cooked over wood that was burned down to coals.

Thanks for the information. I'll try to track some down and try it.

I don't like mesquite, I have used it a lot for grilling and even there, dislike it. Enough that if I am in a place that uses it for all of their meats, I will pass on eating meat at that meal.

I did try using it as a smoking wood, in small amounts, back when I though mesquite meant Texas BBQ. I didn't like it then either. There is something to the taste or aroma, that just doesn't sit at all well for me.

Never liked it, tried small amounts as well. Kinda smells like Kerosene burning to me. I stick with hardwood lump and coconut shell charcoal when I can find it.

I used to be completely against mesquite. Had some bad experiences with people who had no clue what they were doing and used a TON of it. Made the food taste way too smokey for my liking.

When used in moderation (1 chunk) mixed with a nice fruit like cherry, the mesquite is great.

The first time i ever smoked was a tri tip with mesquite, lets just say i used alot of it, maybe 6 or 7 golfball to baseball sized chunks. It was very smoky but it was awesome. Next day i had left over which i had stored in a glass container, as soon as i opened the lid the mesquite kicked me in the face..... I love mesquite on beef, but vegetables taste like gasoline.

Well. It's beginning to look like mesquite is a love it or hate it kind of thing.:decision:

Not for me. Mesquite is readily available all around me in North Texas. I like it for grilling. Steak cooked over Mesquite is really good, IMO, because it gets smoke flavor into the meat in a short cook. I personally don't like it for low and slow. I also don't personally like it on anything but beef.

I really, really hate cutting Mesquite. I cut a few of those so called "trees" once with my own chainsaw. Ruined a chain in about an hour. :mmph:

That free wood wasn't all that free.

CD

The first time i ever smoked was a tri tip with mesquite, lets just say i used alot of it, maybe 6 or 7 golfball to baseball sized chunks. It was very smoky but it was awesome. Next day i had left over which i had stored in a glass container, as soon as i opened the lid the mesquite kicked me in the face..... I love mesquite on beef, but vegetables taste like gasoline.

I have not cooked tri-tip on Mesquite -- I actually have never cooked tri tip. I have eaten tri-tip several times, and I can imagine tri-tip being a good choice for cooking over mesquite. The meat has a bold flavor, and you cook it hot and fast. I would love to taste some of that.

CD

Cooper's Old Time in Llano,TX burns their mesquite down to coals in a seperate burn pit before shoveling the coals into the smoking pit. This really mellows out the smoke.

Back