• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Setup / Teardown time

MikeJ65

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I work out of a 6 x 10 cargo trailer and am looking to minimize my setup and cleanup times. I am pretty well organized on the small items like rubs, thermos, knives, etc., but it seems like we make about 70 trips up and down the ramp for the bigger items like popups, extension cords, chairs, and tables.

I'm thinking about building a cart or two for these items, does anyone have some ideas they could share or other ideas to minimize the non-cooking work involved in a contest?

I use a 5x8 toy hauler as well. A lot of comps are on grass or gravel. Carts can be very difficult to use. I bring a two wheel dolly which helps minimize some trips. I also have about 5 plastic tubs where I keep electrical in one, cooking equipment in another and so on. This helps me find things quicker and also makes for less trips. I figure I wont really have an easier setup until I can afford an RV. Having a 18 year old son makes my life easier when he can go.

Below is a rolling work bench I use. We installed a sink in he middle . You have a lot of drawers to carry all your needs. It is easy to roll. I found his at SAMs club for $400.00 . I was tired of having so many bins and set up. Now jus roll of trailer and ready to go.

image.jpg

Bin's can work well for fewer trips and easier storage. I use one set of plastic drawers - not quite the size of the one pictured. Put everything in the drawers, pack it away and your done. Home Depot has a decent one for about $60. You can put wheels on it. You can get cheaper ones.

9ade2d50-8e33-40b3-bafb-9d33a209a87d_300.jpg

If you're making 70 trips to put stuff away, you got too much stuff. We are always looking to take less. Look at what you're unpacking and packing back up at the end, but, not really using. Also, put things away as you go along, like put lights and sleeping gear away in the morning. One less thing to do after turn ins.

If you're making 70 trips to put stuff away, you got too much stuff. We are always looking to take less. Look at what you're unpacking and packing back up at the end, but, not really using. Also, put things away as you go along, like put lights and sleeping gear away in the morning. One less thing to do after turn ins.

Well, it's probably not 70 trips, but I just have too many separate items. I think I'm going to make a cart for each end of my work table. One end will have a rack for foil, plastic wrap, butcher paper, gloves, and maybe hold my cambro. The other end might be for coolers, popups, and electrical. Each will have a rack plus a cabinet or drawer unit. My goal is to just roll two pits and two carts out of the trailer and be done unloading.

Most of what I take and don't use is backup stuff like my long extension cord, generator, inverter, and so on.

When I competed with a 6 x 12, I had it setup so only the cooking was done outside which meant you only have to unload the cookers.

reels help out alot, hose reels, cord reels
5 compartment bins that can sit on top of your table from walmart hold alot
do you have room in trailer to build a prep counter, I have in mine and its great, being inside keeps dust and other things out of your prep.

I got a 4 foot stainless table on heels at SAMs for less than $100. It has a shelf so I bought some 1/4 ply and boxed in 3 sides. Bought some plastic drawers (7) and have most everything I use. One for presentation, rubs, injection supplies, wrapping, tools, gloves and a misc. have room for my foil box as well. Got a knife box ( craftsman tool box ) that can go on table to roll out. I can do pretty much everything contest oriented on the table. Still need sinks but simple rolling table works there. Can make of wood with cut outs for sinks.

Wheels!

Put everything on wheels, and just roll it in. The bins are resin, bolted to wire shelving that we equipped with pneumatic casters. Judging by the fly swatter, this was taken at New Paltz. :becky:

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 273
Put everything on wheels, and just roll it in. The bins are resin, bolted to wire shelving that we equipped with pneumatic casters. Judging by the fly swatter, this was taken at New Paltz. :becky:

Very nice solution! :thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
I use the 24" D x 49" W x 35” H rolling table from Sam's with the stainless steel top. Not only is it the perfect height and work service for dealing with grease, sticky sauce and hot grates, if you shop around you can find cheap plastic drawer storage units that will fit on the wire shelf below.

The whole unit is still lightweight, but will hold all your knives, brushes, injectors and other small items. Total cost: way under $200.

That's a great setup. Where did you get those Resin drawers?

Thanks :thumb: They are from a company called Suncast. You can get the 3 stack at Lowes or the stacks and individual drawers from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Suncast-DRT1288CD-Utility-Drawer-Tower/dp/B000T3AP7G"]Amazon[/ame].

I use the 24" D x 49" W x 35” H rolling table from Sam's with the stainless steel top. Not only is it the perfect height and work service for dealing with grease, sticky sauce and hot grates, if you shop around you can find cheap plastic drawer storage units that will fit on the wire shelf below.

The whole unit is still lightweight, but will hold all your knives, brushes, injectors and other small items. Total cost: way under $200.

Can you provide pictures of your setup?

First couple years hauled everything but the kitchen sink, gradually less and less, just the bare neccessities. Also went from setting up a 12x20 canopy to a EZ up canopy, much less work and time. Pretty much haul everything in one large ice chest and one ice chest for drinks plus one for meats. All dirty dishes ( not many now) go into the empty meat chest to wash at home. Been wanting to build a cart to load and unload all in one. Older i get the more i want to relax and enjoy and the less i want to work.

Great thread, the challenge for me is that everything I take/need needs to fit in the back of my pickup (or inside). I take no more than 3 ice chests. 1 for meats, another for beer.. I mean drinks :wink:, and a 3rd for brine or misc. I also take 2 plastic boxes, one I call my grocery box and the other I call my utility box. If I had a trailer, a rolling cart would be a good idea. I mostly do everything myself so being organized is something I learned real quick. I'm still trying to find ways to improve in that sense.

Great thread, the challenge for me is that everything I take/need needs to fit in the back of my pickup (or inside). I take no more than 3 ice chests. 1 for meats, another for beer.. I mean drinks :wink:, and a 3rd for brine or misc. I also take 2 plastic boxes, one I call my grocery box and the other I call my utility box. If I had a trailer, a rolling cart would be a good idea. I mostly do everything myself so being organized is something I learned real quick. I'm still trying to find ways to improve in that sense.

I used to do something simliar with one or two trucks. Last year we started renting a UHaul trailer for comps (4x8 or 6x12 depending on what we need). It's not the sexiest thing, but it's cheaper than investing in a trailer for now. I can rent one a month for the cost that it would take to store it, so until I'm doing more than one a month that's my new route. And with that, you can pack a little easier, have a roller cart and still carry a small electric heater and a portable a/c unit and have a place to get some respite from the weather when needed. When the weather was bad last time we even popped the table up inside on it's lowest leg settings, pull our chairs inside and worked inside.

Real men don't need rolling Hiltons. :becky: :moon: :bolt:

Back