• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wow, what a deal on a UDS

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Saw this on CL:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/3689948584.html

3E63m33J65I45Ed5M3d3i1971d56b04cd1425.jpg

3n73Ka3G35N65I25Fcd3ie7c1f009d8a110f3.jpg

3k43Ke3If5N35K55F5d3i2a84d885a8fe1270.jpg

$500!!!!! :shocked:

I can only assume that the outrageous price covers the extra labor put into removing the liner and paying the licenses fees to the University of Missouri. :tsk:

On the bright side it does come with one flimsy rack and some shiny, galvanized hardware. :thumb:

Charcoal basket is a little lacking and the grate sure is a ways down in there. :crazy:

Didn't even spring for a cheapo thermometer or even a $5 fryer thermo.

ROFL, just noticed that he has a K-State paver stone on the front porch :tsk:

Geez...Another one?!

Seems like the UDS market is being flooded with CL sellers that don't legitimately know anything about cooking in a drum. Wouldn't you think they would see the inside and wonder why the steel is red?? Nothing like buying from a seller that hasn't researched enough into his product to stumble upon the liner issue.

Not to mention, $500?!! I had mine custom made by a friend for $275. And that's with all SS hardware, two grates, a good quality made charcoal basket, high heat paint and primer, brand new drum, wheels, utensil hooks, and the constant contact and "customer service" to back it up.

Some people.....

Nice liner in the drum smoker also. I bet that is there to keep it food safe!

Hey, he's making money. Kinda like going into a place and paying 25 bucks for a half slab of ribs and they suck (or, ah, don't have the correct flavor profile). Still I give them credit for doing what they love and getting paid for it.

I built my UDS for 35 bucks 4 years ago and cooked a brisket on it Saturday night!

Jeff

Geez...Another one?!

Seems like the UDS market is being flooded with CL sellers that don't legitimately know anything about cooking in a drum. Wouldn't you think they would see the inside and wonder why the steel is red?? Nothing like buying from a seller that hasn't researched enough into his product to stumble upon the liner issue.

Not to mention, $500?!! I had mine custom made by a friend for $275. And that's with all SS hardware, two grates, a good quality made charcoal basket, high heat paint and primer, brand new drum, wheels, utensil hooks, and the constant contact and "customer service" to back it up.

Some people.....

You make the assumption that the people buying these have any better idea of what they are looking for than the guy who built it.

You make the assumption that the people buying these have any better idea of what they are looking for than the guy who built it.

Not at all. I'm not saying that we "serious" BBQers are the elite and that all others are just wannabes, far from it. There are guys here on the site that have little idea of what goes on with the issues with the liner. Its more a matter of researching the product you want to sell before actually selling it. In this case, researching to discover the debatable "health risks" associated with the liner.

My thought was that the guy is selling these, having NO idea (or maybe he does) about the possible issues the liner can create. I feel sorry for the folks that buy into his product. Especially at the $500 price tag. I'd go buy a WSM instead, slap a Mizzou sticker on the side and call it a day. Plus have change left to buy meat, charcoal, and beer.

I saw both of these examples earlier today as well, could not believe what they were asking for the crap they are selling. I did miss the K-State paver in the back ground, that makes me laugh.

Obviously, you are not taking into account the cost of sandblasting out the original dreaded red liner and then having a new tan, non-toxic, ultra high heat liner put back in.

Last edited:
Been laughing about this one all day... Liner, bad hardware, horrible grill placement, but, for only $500 you should get 2 of them... SMH

I am so glad he priced up there where everyone can see how ridiculous he really is. I just had to raise my prices because of costs going through the roof! Big difference is mine are worth every penny, for many reasons. Hope nobody gets sick if they did buy not knowing how people feel about liners. I also wonder about if there was real license fees paid or just running on the assumption? Getting permission has not been the easiest for me. Steve.

Not at all. I'm not saying that we "serious" BBQers are the elite and that all others are just wannabes, far from it. There are guys here on the site that have little idea of what goes on with the issues with the liner. Its more a matter of researching the product you want to sell before actually selling it. In this case, researching to discover the debatable "health risks" associated with the liner.

My thought was that the guy is selling these, having NO idea (or maybe he does) about the possible issues the liner can create. I feel sorry for the folks that buy into his product. Especially at the $500 price tag. I'd go buy a WSM instead, slap a Mizzou sticker on the side and call it a day. Plus have change left to buy meat, charcoal, and beer.

I didn't take your comment to mean this at all, apologies if my response implied that I did.

I'm in complete agreement with you on this. Whatever transaction takes place on this item will most likely be between a clueless seller (I hope that's the case at least) and an even more clueless buyer, which is a fairly common occurrence nowadays.

I didn't take your comment to mean this at all, apologies if my response implied that I did.

I'm in complete agreement with you on this. Whatever transaction takes place on this item will most likely be between a clueless seller (I hope that's the case at least) and an even more clueless buyer, which is a fairly common occurrence nowadays.

Hey no worries! I probably misinterpreted your post so the fault was probably mine.

Still though, this whole listing makes me chuckle and worry at the same time.

Back