All That Meat

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I'm sure this has been asked, yes I am getting a subscription on my next check (wife only lets me have some much MAD BBQ money at time) but since she asked me last night I didn't rightly have an answer for her question.

We were watching a re-run of Season 1 Pitmasters (I really didn't care for Season 2 or 3), and she asked "they don't turn in all the meat, what do they do with the rest of it?"

Only thing I could think of was, bag it or vacuum seal it and take it home?? What do y'all do with your left over meat?

Gerry

You got it--at least for us!
Our freezer is our friend. :grin:

EDIT to add--we use it as "bribes". :oops:
We get great service from our mechanic, tree guys, meat distributor, and a host of others :grin:

Guess ya could call it rewards.

TIM

Last edited:
You beg your friends and family to show up to the contests on Saturday and feed them.

It gets old after the first couple of contests with bagging up the leftovers. We primarily take home pulled pork and sometimes brisket. Usually the chicken and ribs are not as plentiful and get eaten on site.

We normally don't have a problem getting rid of it all. Ribs and chicken are normally pretty close to gone before we leave so we bag brisket and pork and I have zero issues with giving the leftovers away to family/friends :p. I normally get my fill of BBQ on Saturday and like most I don't want much more Q that weekend, but I eat the leftover pork during the week a lot in various dishes. Sometimes the left overs are better. Brunswick stew this week :-D.

We like to give it away to family and friends.

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

I usually end up making more money from my comp meat at home, than I do at comps. Usually people are at my house the day after I get home to buy it.

If you just do a couple of contests a year... you will not notice the extra meat.

If you do comps every weekend... you will notice the meat. I would get in the swing of things before you worry about cooking too much. We always have friends and family clamoring for BBQ. So much that we have to stash some away at comps, but that would change if we did a bunch of comps.

If you really want to attend a comp, you are free on Sat/Sun this week, can google Ft Smith, AR, and are willing to drive....... feel free to come and hang out with a fellow geek. PM if interested.

Thanks everyone - was more curious than worried. I'm no where near ready for any level of comp. My Pork, Ribs, and Brisket are decent, but I've yet to attempt Chicken. Also have ZERO comp experience other than what I've seen on TV. I'm looking for some local mentoring, so hopefully I can get my learn on.

One team in our area, Fat Maxine's finds local places to donate leftovers to and asks fellow teams to contibute. They've given a lot of meat away his year for a good cause and we always feel good about contributing...win/win!

I left out something on my left over comp meats. Usually I make enough chicken and ribs for turn in box and exchange with a couple of teams so I do not have left overs of these. Since i only use a small portion of 3 butts i have plenty of left over pork and if there is enough time before awards, I shred it up and have it already in freezer bags. I do the same with brisket(slice it up and put in freezer bags before we leave) but I have a lot less brisket meat.

contest organizers & volunteers who have worked hard to make a nice experience for you at a contest will always appreciate a doggy bag. so will contest reps, scorekeepers and others who make the contest possible.

One team in our area, Fat Maxine's finds local places to donate leftovers to and asks fellow teams to contibute. They've given a lot of meat away his year for a good cause and we always feel good about contributing...win/win!

Thanks for the shout out. After a comp is over we're sick of looking at meat, so we came up with the idea above. A bunch of teams kick in and we have been able to donate a lot of food.

Food Donations rock! I really am digging that idea. Each year, we smoke up a pork shoulder and a turkey and find some families in need for the holidays. Not much but means so much to people. Very cool.

We have a big season kick-off party/fundraiser in April. I make a ton of food and buy a keg of beer. Acquaintances, friends and family all come eat drink and people sign up to 'sponsor' a particular contest during the season. Their sponsorship purchases all of the leftovers for that particular contest. After turn-ins all of the meat gets vacuum sealed into meal-sized bags, boxed and then frozen. 25-30 lbs of championship grade meat in all. We have sold almost all of our contests the past two years we have done this. Almost all of our meat cost is covered as a result.

Whatever we have leftover from that gets donated to the local shelter/food bank. :thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
We have a big season kick-off party/fundraiser in April. I make a ton of food and buy a keg of beer. Acquaintances, friends and family all come eat drink and people sign up to 'sponsor' a particular contest during the season. Their sponsorship purchases all of the leftovers for that particular contest. After turn-ins all of the meat gets vacuum sealed into meal-sized bags, boxed and then frozen. 25-30 lbs of championship grade meat in all. We have sold almost all of our contests the past two years we have done this. Almost all of our meat cost is covered as a result.

Whatever we have leftover from that gets donated to the local shelter/food bank. :thumb:

I may take that idea. I've got a couple of small sponsorship's but that one sounds like it may work!

As for what we do with our comp meats, one word, barter. We trade it for wood, discounts on propane, my neighbor tunes up all of my small engines (chain saw, tillers, ect). Heck, I even just give it out to the neighborhood so they don't complain when I'm smoking food at home.

I wish we could donate it around here. I've brought it up a number of times and the response back is always "the Health Department won't let us."

Back