Pr0nFest 2011: Meat & Potatoes In a Shell

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Beef Wellington & Twice Baked Potatoes:

One of the things I’ve never tried is Beef Wellington; I asked the missus if she wouldn’t mind giving it a whirl, and was more than happy to oblige. The Missus used to be a professional chef, so she just used her own special version of the dish that she developed over the years that she recalled from memory.

Along with the Beef Wellington, she also prepared her world famous twice baked potatoes, which we haven’t had in what seems like ages.

So to get started, we used a prime eye of filet that was fully trimmed:

IMG_5593.jpg

Also, some portabello and button shrooms:

IMG_5592.jpg

Then seasoned with Rub Company Santa Maria rub:

IMG_5596.jpg

Then onto the oval for about 10 minutes of smoke:

IMG_5598.jpg

After the smoke, I seared the filet on all sides over very hot heat:

IMG_5600.jpg

Then, I grilled up the mushrooms:

IMG_5601.jpg

When the mushrooms were done, I brought them inside so The Missus could saute the mushrooms, herbs, and shallots:

IMG_5604.jpg

Then we wrapped the filet in the mushroom, shallot, and herb paste, with a final wrapping of prosciutto:

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

Then, The Missus prepped the taters:

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

A few hours later, we wrapped the meat in puff pastry. To help bind the pastry together at the ends, we brushed the ends of the pastry with egg yolks, while to help brown the pastry, we brushed the top with egg whites:

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

Then into the oven for about 40 mins, along with the Twice Baked taters.
Here’s how it looked when we pulled it out:

IMG_5618.jpg

After letting it rest for about 15 mins, we sliced:

IMG_5623.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

Finally, served sliced on a bed of green peppercorn sauce, accompanied by a twice baked potato. The meal was scrumptious, although VERY rich.

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

Thanks for checking out my meat & potatoes in a shell!

Photobucket is having issues today but what I can see and what you posted yesterday looks great :hungry:

Somehow it figures the Missus would be a professional chef. Excellent cook! How much smoke did the beef absorb in 10 minutes? Was it discernable?

Somehow it figures the Missus would be a professional chef. Excellent cook! How much smoke did the beef absorb in 10 minutes? Was it discernable?

Yes, I am most lucky The Missus has had such a fine culinary background. :becky:

Given that filet is pretty porous, it actually did absorb a discernible smoke flavor. Not a lot, but we could certainly taste it.

Those mushrooms are bigger than my head! (or maybe that's a close up shot.)

Great project. Thanks for sharing.

That is absolutely amazing. A great looking meal with perfectly cooked beef - fantastic work all around! :clap2:

Farking awesome, and cooked to perfection if you ask me. Last 2 photos really nice. :clap2:

Holy farking shiznit, Moose! Now I have to get a towel to wipe up the drool.

That looks absolutely amazing! Bravo, my friend! Bravo!:clap:

That seriously looks kick ass! Great teamwork and if you ever die, don't worry. I will take care of your wife (as long as she cooks like that!).

Back