• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Frozen Chicken

tboneld

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This one is for you Mayor!

I'm trying to make contests flow a little easier for a small team. One idea that I have, is to trim the chicken a few days before the contest, and freeze it. I've had problems with chicken getting a little "foul":roll: after it is more than a day or two old.
Does anyone freeze their chicken? Anyone think it is a bad idea? I plan to do some tests at home, but I just wondered if anyone had any data.

i don't see any problem with it as long as the chicken wasn't frozen, then thawed and then refrozen.

i think you can have some risk of food borne illness if you refreeze thawed meats.

No problems trimming and freezing.

Last year we would get a case of thighs at a time from our sponsor. I'd trim them in one shot and then vacuum seal in 12 thigh batches for comps. Just pull out the frozen package and toss in the cooler. By the time you were ready to work on them they were pretty well thawed.

No problems trimming and freezing.

Last year we would get a case of thighs at a time from our sponsor. I'd trim them in one shot and then vacuum seal in 12 thigh batches for comps. Just pull out the frozen package and toss in the cooler. By the time you were ready to work on them they were pretty well thawed.

New product idea: Plowboy's Pre-trimmed Frozen Competition Chicken Thighs with Yardbird Rub Packets.

Just kidding 'bout this, but it did spring to mind.

Back