Expanded metal or metal lath for charcoal basket

oldsmobubble

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I was in Home Depot the other day looking for some expanded metal and I couldn't find any, but, in the concrete section I did find sheets of lath. So I was wondering is there a difference & if so which would be better to use when trying to make a charcoal basket. I ask because expanded metal is pretty hard to come by around here (unless I haven't been looking in the right place which is very possible), I couldn't even find a nice sheet of it online where it wasn't too expensive. Looking to use it to make a charcoal basket for a UDS and possibly my ECB, any and all advise is appreciated.
Thanks

Home Depot is one place where I find it around here. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bo...in-Metal-Plain-Expanded-Sheet-45840/202183529 Can't they ship to store if they don't stock it?

I also picked up a 9'x4' sheet of 10 gauge (much heavier than the HD stuff) for $35 at a local scrap yard. They were advertising it on CL.

Look for metal service centers near you. If you can't find listings, find a local welding shop and ask them.

If the metal lath is what I think it is, it's not very heavy weight stuff and probably would not last long.

The expanded metal is in the hardware section in Home Depot with the threaded rod, the steel and aluminum bars and rods.

Lath will burnout really fast Voice of experience.

I made a basket out of the metal lathe from Home Depot and one out of expanded metal. The difference between the two products is the gauge of the metal. I would imagine the expanded metal would last a bit longer, but the metal lathe is MUCH cheaper and easier to work with. For $9 you can make three baskets. I'm on the second year of the first metal lathe basket.

Find a metal works shop.
I traded some smoked cheese for some.

The expanded metal is in the hardware section in Home Depot with the threaded rod, the steel and aluminum bars and rods.

yup, go to the nuts and bolts aisle and look for the bay with thin bar stock, all-thread, and angle, all standing vertically in different lengths. Or just ask someone where the long all-thread is, and it will be down on the bottom, about 10 bucks for a 12x24 piece. Grab 2

Like others said, it is the threaded rod and aluminum sheet section. It is a very small section at my local store and easily passed by, I think I have the 3/4" gap size.

Make sure to take the sheet in with the stock number (and check for local inventory). They often have no idea what it is unless they look it up and find the in store location.

How tall should you make the basket for a WSM 22.5 ?

Back