Dickies BBQ coming to town.

buffalotom

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We have a Dickies BBQ coming to town. Have any of you brethren went to one before? I have seen the signs in other cities but never stopped. Do they use real pits to smoke the meat? The location they are moving to is right in downtown. No real room behind or in front to put a pit. Thanks for the info.

Fairly typical generic BBQ restaurant food, not the real deal. The kids loved the free ice cream bar, I will say that. Since they served root beer (can't remember what kind) they basically tanked up on root beer floats.

None of the food was memorable, and I've only been the one time.

It didn't suck, as I recall. Just wasn't worth the drive. If it was next door, I might have tried it again to formulate a better opinion.

It is like fast food BBQ, but what I've had is of poor quality. There are a few in the Dallas airport and I usually opt for McDonald's -- that should say something right there.

I have had from inedible to pretty good depending on the location and the day. Folks around here like to use them for catering, and the OK results have always been catered (where the food is cooked specifically for the group and not pulled out of the stuff that is siting under the lights). Like anything, it is probably worth giving one try and making your own decision.

just like other chains, it all depends on the cook.

Hit and miss, the one by my house when I lived inTexas was good, the one here in Jacksonville was lame.

Brisket is usually dry, best part is usually the mac and cheese.

I ate at one when I was visiting my daughter in Dallas. If what you get is like what I had, I would expect the rat/mice population to drop in the downtown area and increase in the suburbs. It was not good.

IMO there is no chain BBQ that is good. We had a Dickies that lasted about 6 months total and during that time it went through two owners. Everytime I thought about going I would pass and no one in the parking lot and no smoke.
People that I talked to who went said the food was horrible.
Just my experience.

My experience was a one time only experience, and that is the way it will stay. I put it a few steps below Chuck Wagon Dog food, at least you get some moisture if you add the water to Chuck Wagon Dog food.

One opened here in the mall, and was closed within 6 months. I went once. The pulled pork was dry, the cheddar jalapeno sausage was excellent, the onion strings were very good, and the jalapeno beans were nothing to write home about.
As said above I believe it has to do with who is cooking.

There was one a few blocks from my house. I heard nothing good about it, then it closed and an independent joint took over. I LOVE IT, it has lines out the door, wonderful innovative sides and the brisket, pulled pork, etc is GREAT. Sugarfire is its name. I love it :clap2:

The independent joints are way better as most times the owner is the one doing the cooking. we have a local joint that is very good as the owner or one of his family members does all the cooking.
I stay away from chain joints, especially BBQ.

Had it once didn't like it, The pulled pork had no smoke flavor the beans tasted like canned and the onion strings were so salty they were inedible.

If you like dry flavorless meat, potato salad that is overly sweet and has the consistency of mashed potatoes, really bad customer service, then you will love the place.

Otherwise run, run fast and run far. JMHO

I went to the local Dickies ONCE... The server trimmed all the bark off the brisket to serve it. I had to get the manager over and convince him I wanted it left on. After all that,it was bland, lol...

It is like fast food BBQ, but what I've had is of poor quality. There are a few in the Dallas airport and I usually opt for McDonald's -- that should say something right there.

At Dallas airport I've checked out Cousin's. I got one kinda decent brisket sammich there (no sauce) once but last time they put the sauce on and it was a pretty farked up sammich. I would try them again if and when I ever go back through there - it'd be the tie-breaker to determine if I'd consider it a viable option or not. I talked to the cutter and he said the stuff was smoked off site (for some reason you can't run a smoker at the airport :noidea:), but it is supposedly cooked that day at one of their restaurants.

Back