logo

How much brisket?

P

Pitmaster

I am going to smoke a brisket for the first time in a couple of weeks. How big of a brisket do I need? What do you guys figure per person? At this time, I'm not sure exactly how many people will be attending the party, that's why I would like to find out per person (of course you can never have too much). I will be doing sliced and chopped. Maybe I should smoke two briskets? Thanks in advance for the help. Luv this forum!

I always cook 2/3 to 1 lb per person, cuz we're fat and we eat alot. Of course this includes sides so ain't noone goin hawngry. Some of the more experienced Brothers that cater and have resturaunts can help you figure shrinkage. The way I figure, if you cook too much.....leftovers!! :lol:

1/3 to 1/2 pound per person...depending on the amount of sides you're serving.. shrinkage; sometimes as much as 40% on some briskets.. cook extra, never hurts to freeze stuff..

Gotta agree with Pimp, except, what are these leftover things you mentioned :?:

icemn62 said:
Gotta agree with Pimp, except, what are these leftover things you mentioned :?:

Man ya gotta have thin sliced fried brisket in the morning with you're eggs. I cook it just like bacon.

Damn I'm hungry!!!:shock:

Depending on the crowd, men vs. women and the # of children etc., you could probably get by with 8 oz./person, but I would be nervous. I've gone as high as 1 lb./person and had it all gone, but also had enough left for some folks to take some home and keep a little for myself. As a host my worst fear is running out of food. I can live with eating brisket whenever I want for a week or so.

If you are cooking packers factor in the extra fat that is reflected in the wieght. If they are flats then the yield improves. Since you said you intended to do sliced and chopped brisket I'd go with packers. It's hard to beat a chopped brisket point.

Back