View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #11
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardchef
8 hours?? But Famous Dave's only cooks theirs for 2 hours. This article doesn't seem reliable.

BQ-- someone once told me that the worst thing your comp. que could be is bland. The guy in the article says not to overseason....Do you think it's the amount of rub, or the excessive use of strong flavors, like cinnamon or thyme, sweet or heat?
There are thousands of rubs out there - turbinado/salt based to a dried vinegar and mustard based - I have yet to have a bad one on a brisket.

I think you nailed it - balance of the flavors is key. For example - IMHO, you have to have a little celery in anything you are going to put on beef. But if you cover it in celery powder - yikes. Believe it or not... in one of my pork rubs I use some old bay seasoning.... who knew? I think most judges will tell you that they don't want to be able to pick out a flavor - they want to taste the meat - not one of the enhancments.

As far as overseasoning... Some rubs will tell you to cake them on, some say sprinkle. I am thinkin it is personal taste on that front. I will use heavy rub on a whole brisket, and go lighter on a flat. same idea with spare ribs vs. baby backs. Personal preference.

Wood as a flavoring is the same way... get too much and you don't taste the meat. Nothing worse than bitter meat. I have had food get bitter because of too much Hickory smoke. Maybe some of the texas guys can weigh in on Mesquite - I have heard it is one you have to be very careful with vs. say, pecan. No Mesquite here to cook with - how do you fair when using it?