• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Cook on the MJH (with the pron)

GrillsGoneWild

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I got my Backyard Bombers MJH delvered last week and was just itching to fire it up. The plan was to season it on Saturday and then have a cook on it Sunday. Well, it got to be about 7pm on Friday night and I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to get it fired up. I filled the "maze" about halfway with charcoal, sprayed the inside with Pam and fired it up. This was my first time using any kind of guru and this seasoning process was a good way to get use to it. I still need some work with it but I'm sure am going to like that little tool.
Okay, now the seasoning was done it was time to get onto cooking something on it Sunday. I had my now 5 year old's birthday party at the house so I had to wait till that was over at 3pm to get started. I had some people that wanted some smoked meat so I decided to fill up the smoker...
Total meat cooked was 6 chickens, sausage links, 2 Rib Racks, and 1 Pork Loin.
It was a good learning cook. Everything came out very good. I found where the "hot spot" is that I'll be able to cook my chicken on for competitions. It's right where the heat comes up into the cooker on the top rack, so it gets a little more direct heat than the rest of the cooker.

Here is the cooker filled up. Still had the bottom rack next to the water pan if I needed it.

The Pork Loin was the first thing done. This was for my neighbor and he said it was very juicy.

This was the top rack of chicken that got done first. It wasn't as dark as the pic, but like I said above it does get more heat so I just need to work on timing and placement.

Here is the second rack of chicken

I didn't get any pics of the sausage that got put on while the last of the chicken was getting done. 4 of the chickens were for a buddy of mine that has been waiting patiently and the other 2 were for us that evening to have with some friends.

While we had dinner with some friends, the ribs finished up. I knew they weren't going to be done it time but that was okay. Since I was busy with dinner, I didn't wrap or sauce these which turned out to be a blessing. They had a nice bark to the outside and the inside was nice and moist. They probably could have come off about 15 minutes earlier but I don't think anyone is going to complain. I got a couple of bones before packing them up for tonights dinner and they were terrific.

Another look at them

Very awesome! Seriously considering getting this smoker soon. Keep me posted please on your thoughts/review on it. Thanks

Very awesome! Seriously considering getting this smoker soon. Keep me posted please on your thoughts/review on it. Thanks

Right now I wouldn't hesitate to buy this cooker. This is my first cabinet smoker so I need a few cooks to get down the times, temps and how to control the fire but the results just from the first cook are awesome. The ribs alone have me in a very happy mood. I have a brisket cook planned in a couple of weekends for the "big test".

Does the smoker work without the guru or is it absolutely necessary?

You need something like a guru to control the air intake as the valve doesn't have an adjustment or you have Josh place a valve on it that can be adjusted.

Back