blue smoke..question #2

pull_my_butt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I hate to sound like such a retard but I guess if I can't ask this here, then I can't ask it anywhere....since we're all into smoking meats.

If it is HOT coals that produce the thinner, blue smoke....when using the minion method, some of your coals (the bottom ones) will not be as hot as the the ones that have already been burning, which is of course, on top.

I'm smoking two butts right now in the cold and light NC snow and I am putting the hot coals on top of the un-lit coals and each time as the new coals get lit, they will not be as hot as the previously lit ones and therefore, it produces that cloudy smoke.

Is this accepted for the minion method or am I doing something wrong here?

Cheers.

somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it works because the unlit coals are nice and hot by the time they ignite, as opposed to throwing cold, unlit coals on the fire.

Please don't say retard. I understand ppl use it freely and as slang but it 's really derogatory.Thanks

Ideally, sure, thin blue smoke is desirable...I guess. I've turned out plenty of good Q after experiencing the dreaded white puffy smoke though. If you cook the entire time with it rolling the white stuff you might ruin the meat, but honestly it would take a real dum dum to do that. Not to mention you would have to have your fire choked off so much you wouldn't keep temp. If you throw a couple pieces of charcoal or wood on and it smokes white, its no big deal.

With the minion method, the idea as stated in the post above, is correct to my knowledge. The charcoal is "pre heated" for combustion so when the lit coals reach it they give off very little to no noticable "white smoke".

So long as you keep a good burning fire that keeps a good steady temp and has good air flow, you've got no worries. Hakuna Matata! :grin:

Please don't say retard. I understand ppl use it freely and as slang but it 's really derogatory.Thanks

Don't get your panties all in a bind. He was referring to himself, not calling anyone else a name - which would be prohibited according to forum rules. Actually he used the terminology that is currently used by psychologists and the mental health profession. Terms such as "Moron", "Imbecile", and "Idiot" which were classifications of actual IQ measurements are no longer used because they were being "abused" by the public. The only thing our OP did not specify is the level of mental retardation he felt he was suffering from, perhaps just the level of "borderline deficiency" I suspect. If he had called himself a moron or idiot, I suspect nobody would have commented on his self-evaluation, however; those terms are actually no longer in use by the mental health community and seem like they would be more derogatory.
http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/iqclassifications.htm

Here is my take on it. The smoke from the coals below passes through the hot fire/ coals above and reburns which then produces thin blue smoke.

Back