where do salmon come from?

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

right here at the skagit salmon hatchery in the state of washington, erected by the state of washington department of fisheries in 1946.
they are already trying to jump upstream.

northcascades-030.jpg

northcascades-018.jpg

i'll be eatin one of these soon! :biggrin:

Great pics Rick! Its the first time I've seen a pic you took that was still alive!:p

Rick- When you hit Seattle you need to check out the Hiram Chittenden Locks in Ballard, there is a fish ladder and viewing windows for spawning salmon returning from open water on their way upstream. You will want to get yourself a Ray Troll "Spawn till you Die" shirt there!

Brian

id be willing to bet that if I drop a line in that tank with fresh bait, they would all scatter and i'd pull up an old boot.

:redface:

When I first saw the question I was going to answer "Cryovac" :roll:

One of the coolest thing I have seen is a salmon hatchery in northern Michigan. Watching the big fish come up the fish ladder and watching the fisheries guys stripping the eggs and milt was cool, but watching the smolts jumping into the aeration spray in the tanks was a lot of fun.

Awesome pics Rick. I have been to a few trout hatchery's over the years but never have seen a salmon one yet.

Hi Rick...welcome to Seattle! How's the trip going so far? Too bad you can't join Swamprb and myself tommorrow at the PNW Eggfest. We'll take a few pics for ya.:biggrin:

JD

Hi Rick...welcome to Seattle! How's the trip going so far? Too bad you can't join Swamprb and myself tommorrow at the PNW Eggfest. We'll take a few pics for ya.:biggrin:

JD

hey, mon! we just checked in the mayflower park hotel...

yesterday, after the hatchery, we tried a hike up to the base of mt baker, but the we lost the trail 2.2 miles in at a huge boulder stream bed.

it's almost happy hour! :biggrin:

The question was "Where do Salmon come from?"

Salmon Eggs

The question was "Where do Salmon come from?"

Salmon Eggs

that's true... but the cold fresh water melting off this glacier and flowing down this streambed make them taste extra special! :biggrin:

northcascades-149.jpg

northcascades-137.jpg

Cool pics Rick!!!

hey, mon! we just checked in the mayflower park hotel...

yesterday, after the hatchery, we tried a hike up to the base of mt baker, but the we lost the trail 2.2 miles in at a huge boulder stream bed.

it's almost happy hour! :biggrin:

Thank goodness for that boulder stream bed...otherwise you may have missed happy hour. :wink: Enjoy the game tomorrow! GO DAWGS!!! :twisted:

JD

ps...nice pics (as usual)

Man, that looks like Mt Hood, Rick.

Looking forward to the fish on the BGE pics

Back