Thanks. Ball valve is the same I guess then, so I'll go with 3 holes of 1 inch diameter. Found a local store that specializes in fasteners, so i'll get the nuts, bolts, and washers there. Now to find a cheap weber on CL....

I'm assuming the 3/4 inch pipe and ball valve is the way most of you folks are going..

3/4" is what i used and have had no problems.:thumb:

So, i've got a barrel, i've cut 3 intake holes, four holes for bolts to hold the cooking grate, 24 inches above bottom of charcoal basket. Charcoal basket made from dollar general grill plus expanded metal. going to add a handle.

I just missed on a 10 dollar Weber kettle on craigslist today. Curse those people who are faster than me!

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,092
Fresh Meat

So I found this site about a month ago and I have gotten very little work done since. I plan on starting my build once I find a drum, and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the following. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. I would like to have two racks. If I use a diffuser plate/water pan can I accomplish this without using a Weber lid mod? The reason I ask is the bottom rack would be closer than 24" to the box. I would cook without the diffuser when making smaller quantities, but would like the option for larger parties.

2. With the Weber lid mod, does anyone have issues with grease running down the barrel. I have 22" weber kettle and was thinking about using the lid. If I bolted the bottom of the kettle to the drum would this eliminate the grease. Could I just use high temp caulk to seal where the bottom kettle met the drum? I was planning on using the bolts to hold my top rack?

3. I like the look of a single intake, but I can't weld. I know that the UDS generally operates with all intakes closed and the ball valve mostly closed. What size pipe should I run for the single intake?

I'm planning on doing a UDS build with a nice new unlined drum. Question is: do I still have to burn the exterior black paint off?

I have a question for those people that have UDS with flat lids and the 8 holes. When you are done with a cook, are you able to kill the fire by just shutting off the intake valve(s)? My concern here is a waste of fuel that is unburned durning the actual cook. Or, do you have another method to salvage any fuel that is left.

If I just close the air intakes fire is dead in less than a half hour without messing with the exhaust holes

...I just missed on a 10 dollar Weber kettle on craigslist today. Curse those people who are faster than me!

I can top that. I just picked up a J code black/grey fleck kettle with a solid lid and heavy guage food grate for.... wait for it.... $1! It was on CL for $3, but they said everything was on the cheap at this garage sale today!!! Rusted out bottom, missing the coal grate, and the OT system is completely missing, but I DON'T CARE!!! It will get matched with a drum I already have for a drum for my Old Man. Should be a good present for him.

I'm planning on doing a UDS build with a nice new unlined drum. Question is: do I still have to burn the exterior black paint off?

I had the same, nice new unlined drum, and i still did a burn out. removing the paint was nice, the finish coat went on well. Also, I didn't want the first time it saw heat to be when I was cooking. I was glad I did it.

My "unlined" drum had a rust inhibitor in it. I burned it, sand blasted it, and sanded it before I seasoned it.

1. I would like to have two racks. If I use a diffuser plate/water pan can I accomplish this without using a Weber lid mod? The reason I ask is the bottom rack would be closer than 24" to the box. I would cook without the diffuser when making smaller quantities, but would like the option for larger parties.

It'll work just fine. My grates are 6" and 12" from the top of the drum. Diffuser is about 5" under the second grate. Temps are relatively even and have been producing great food with it.

2. With the Weber lid mod, does anyone have issues with grease running down the barrel. I have 22" weber kettle and was thinking about using the lid. If I bolted the bottom of the kettle to the drum would this eliminate the grease. Could I just use high temp caulk to seal where the bottom kettle met the drum? I was planning on using the bolts to hold my top rack?

Grease is natural and won't hurt anything if you clean it out once in a while

3. I like the look of a single intake, but I can't weld. I know that the UDS generally operates with all intakes closed and the ball valve mostly closed. What size pipe should I run for the single intake?

I can't weld either, but came up with a great single intake design that works very well for me. Here's a link to a detailed blog of the build:

http://reddhotpoker.blogspot.com/

[/QUOTE]3. I like the look of a single intake, but I can't weld. I know that the UDS generally operates with all intakes closed and the ball valve mostly closed. What size pipe should I run for the single intake?[/QUOTE]

I USED JB WELD ON MINE.

Great looking drum! Very clean looking.

They had some scrap stainless tubing at work, so I put it to good use.

BarrelSmoker012.jpg

BarrelSmoker006.jpg

I have weber lid and if I use water or cook a lot of food at once I'll get goo running down the sides. No biggie it'll wash off. If your lid seals the outside of the drum then you'll get grease if you have a lot of moisture in there. Not sure how to get around that, it's the design of the lid.

In the St Louis area you can buy Refurbed Unlined Opentop 55 drums from Container Distributors, Venice, IL $30. Why mess around?

Any one know a source of Expaneded Metal for my Charcoal Container in the St Louis area?

TIA

In the St Louis area you can buy Refurbed Unlined Opentop 55 drums from Container Distributors, Venice, IL $30. Why mess around?

Any one know a source of Expaneded Metal for my Charcoal Container in the St Louis area?

TIA

You have local "box" stores? Home Depot, Lowes, they all have expanded metal. Not a lot, but my fire box was made from it.

Back