View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim
Default Judging--"Catch-All"

I'm feeling "frisky" tonight, so lets just get it on!

We have several threads running about judging. Just like all the forums out there.
A lot of really good stuff, and some absolute BS posted everywhere.
So--here is my "Not so Humble Opinion"

I will address only the PRO competitions and only KCBS and FBA.
Those are my only certifications.
In all cases, this is my goal as a competitor and my thoughts as a Judge.

APPEARANCE overall:
It is a PRO competition!
Make it look PROFESSIONAL!
That means (to me):
A well thought out arrangement of the meat and garnish (if garnish is selected).
A focus on the meat with any garnish complimenting the meat.
A presentation that looks visually and artistically appealing.
And, most importantly, MAKE ME WANT TO EAT THAT MEAT!

How do you do that??????
Do not expect me to score appearance high if you:

Pile stuff in there with no organization or apparent plan.
Line the sides with wilted or "crappy" garnish. Garnish is "your choice" to use or not (KCBS)--do it PRO or leave it out! If you use it--I will definitely consider it from the artistic and PRO side of your entry.
Line the sides with garnish that is not organized and somewhat even (or even showing a "plan").
Cut all of your ribs differently or have ragged cut marks or all of that. A properly cooked rib (or brisket slice) will have a clean cut if done with a properly sharpened knife. Cut your ribs evenly! Don't present me with some that are one inch wide with bone showing on the side and others that are "double cut" in the same box! (Do not laugh--I have seen that!)
Show me "X" slices of brisket that did not come from the same area and that you did not even line up in order.
Show me "X" number chicken pieces that you have made no attempt to make "at leasts similar" to each other.

Sliced, chopped, shredded??? Take your best shot!
I will judge appearance it as presented and record my score to the best of my ability.
If it is "overcooked brisket", that is mushy--and that you have chopped or whatever to cover up the overcooking--I will be catch you with the tenderness or flavor score
If it is really well done brisket that you elected to chop--I will reward that on the tenderness and flavor scores.

So--I look at the box from two perspective's:
Is it appealing from an "artistic" and "Professionally prepared" view.
Is it "making me want to eat it" as the second part.
Both are important in my mind!

I have written earlier about the difference between a "diner" and a "5-star" restaurant. It is the "presentation" and the delivery that make me pay $50 for a meal and not $10
I "see" PRO--I expect to taste PRO.
I cook for (and judge) at the PRO level--that is what we do!

Basically--I look at the box as "Did a PRO do this" ? Attention to detail is what Pros do

As to "covering up" defects in the meat with the presentation--go for it!
That is what PROs do. That is why they are successful.
Appearance/Presentation is a small part of the overall score and I will give them the presentation score and catch it later on the taste or texture score if they were hiding chit. I "presume" nothing on appearance about taste and texture!

Taste and Texture:
I like spicy food!
I do not cook spicy BBQ for comps--I prefer to score well
If someone has a really sweet entry, I judge it as it sits.
If it is edible, and if the flavor does not overwhelm the meat--I am good to go!
Do what you want to do with sauce and flavors--just let the meat shine through!!!!!!!!!!!

I like food cooked to a certain texture!
Do I score "Up or Down" based on my likes----NO!
But, I have judged some really great "texture"--I know it can be done.

I prefer to cook and eat spares. We have scored well with both babybacks and spares. As a judge--I do not care! Cook what you want, do it well, and I will record the results the best I can!

I think a lot of the "Internet confusion and emotion" comes from the inability to separate "What I like" from " What score did I give" in the posts

All I can say as a cook and a judge is:
Pay attention to detail and have a great time!

Just some thoughts--I think we get too stressed out based on what someone says in a forum.

Let it start!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote