First brisket and first BBQ sauced pulled pork

S

suprfast

normally the pulled pork is used for carnitas, but i needed something more homey. I was quite impressed and will definitely be doing the brisket exactly like this again.

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

IMG_5374.JPG

IMG_5377.JPG

pulled pork action
IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5380.JPG

That is some good looking meat

maybe its just me but i feel my pulled pork always comes out a tad on the mushy side. I do foil it and i understand that this basically braises the meat. Should i stop foiling for the future to get a more crisp bark and "tougher" but tender meat.

I have read somewhere that you can unfoil it and take the heat up a bit for the last 30 minutes - supposedly would allow for more of the crispy bark while not taking away the tender juiciness... but to be honest I have never tried - just did my first one for new years...

maybe its just me but i feel my pulled pork always comes out a tad on the mushy side. I do foil it and i understand that this basically braises the meat. Should i stop foiling for the future to get a more crisp bark and "tougher" but tender meat.

How long are you cooking it for? I never foil pulled pork except for when I cooler it before pulling. Use both WSM and UDS. Bring temp to 190 and then foil. If you go longer than 18 hrs you will find that it sometimes comes out too mushy and will often be falling apart when you try to remove it from the smoker.

My bark is generally always right on and after foiling for 2 hours it pulls by hand fairly easially but not mushy.

Just over 8 hours total time. It was only a 3-4lb butt/shoulder, whatever it was. the flavor was great, just like more BITE to the meat. Next time i wont bother foiling it. I saw i had the color now to get the texture.

Do the pros foil brisket?
kris

Do the pros foil brisket?
I foil mine at around 165 internal (somestimes I add juice or sauce, sometimes not), take it to 190 or so and start checking with a probe to see if it's tender. If not, I cook it until it is tender then I let it rest in a cooler for a couple of hours before slicing.

I was quite impressed and will definitely be doing the brisket exactly like this again.

The food looks great! Thanks for sharing. You mention that you will be doing another brisket like this again but you didn't tell us what you did for either meat.

I find that the temperature you take the pork your pit is super important. if you let it get up too high, it tends to get mushy...thats my experience.

The food looks great, what did you do to the brisket?

Back