• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Which chaffers to buy?

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For start up? I don't want to buy crap but don't want to spend a fortune either. Should I go with the black handles or a gold trim? How are the ones from Sams Club? Or better suggestions, I was going to buy 6 of them.

Thanks

Ruben

Depending on how much you want to spend.... That ones at resturant depot for $31.00 work as good as the ones for $200.00 and if you were to ask the 100 people that just went through that food line if they had gold or black handles they couldnt tell you because they were looking at the food.

I have the ones from Sam's...with the gold trim. I like them, and they work well for my needs. I think I paid around $60 or so for each 8 qt. unit.

Take this for instance, is this a great deal or a total piece of crap? http://www.equippers.com/shop/product-detail.aspx?ret=1&pcid=14&scid=10120&pid=21018
I have 2 of these and 2 I paid about $75 for. The big difference is that the fuel is a little higher it seems and it's a little harder to slide the cans in and out. And the more expensive unit has swing covers for the fuel holders.

Unless there's a specific request for fancy chaffers I'd say these are a good deal and will last for you.

A lot of it depends on what you are catering. Some of the expensive warmers hold more food and are easier to deal with ie the roll top chaffer is real nice, but $200 plus ia a little out of my budget. I would like to upgrade but not sure if it is worth it

I've use the Polar brand Sam's used to carry and the Triam... they carry now. They all work find and hold up well, but I really wish I could have afforded roll top chafers, because the lids always become a pain.

The other key think to consider is how they stack for transportation and storage.

I personally hate the black handles, but, I do 50% weddings and prefer the all stainless steel look; even over the gold trim.

If you get the black handles and need to spruce them up, you can always tie nice napkins around the handles based on the customer's color scheme. Tablescapes mod!

Good points raised above. Bottom line is how they look matters if you are doing weddings or other "teacup" gigs. If you are the chow line at the plant, all that counts is functionality.

One thought is that you can rent chafers and other fancy serving gear from a party rental store and roll that cost into the price to the customer. This might be your best bet starting up as you can spend a ton of cash on bling.

I personally hate the black handles, but, I do 50% weddings and prefer the all stainless steel look; even over the gold trim.

If you get the black handles and need to spruce them up, you can always tie nice napkins around the handles based on the customer's color scheme. Tablescapes mod!

I also have these and hate the black handles. I went to Lowe's and bought nickle cabinet handles and changed them. The ones I bought have 3 3/4" centers for the holes. They now look great.

BMS I really apriciate your table scapes.

I ordered six of the chaffers in my link above. Got them in today. I think they will be nice for start up, they are made very thin and cheapish but taken care of I should be good. At $26 a piece instead of $75 it sure does help, especially after all of the $$$$.$$'s I have put out getting started. I hope to get a final inspection with in two weeks!!!

Back