• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

on the coals!

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am curious as to how a steak should be properly cooked directly on lump?

Is there a "special" way or does it not matter?

well ash kill me if it is eatin? some say yes!

thanks

A bit of ash never killed anyone, at least in my family, but why would you want to cook directly on charcoal. What do you gain by putting your food on it instead of the cooking grate?

Last edited:
Caveman steak!
Never done them myself but I got a chance to get some samples from Brethren during bashes.
I think they did them 90 seconds a side and just brushed the ashes off.

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

Better yet, why cook them? Cavemen did always have fire available so they just ate raw meat. :crazy:

A bit of ash never killed anyone, at least in my family, but why would you want to cook directly on charcoal. What do you gain by putting your food on it instead of the cooking grate?
I agree...just get your grate down low, with some good hot coals. If you really want some heat, try lighting up some oak wood chunks instead of charcoal (about twice as much as you would add charcoal), let them burn down to coals (reducing in size which is why you started with more), put your grate over that as close as you need (it might warp from the high heat unless you have a good CI grate), and cook away. That way you don't have to scrape off any ash.

Just my opinion.

saw it on alton brown, believe he used a hair dryer to get the excess ash off the coals and to really stoke the fire, haven't tried it myself, still love using the chimney, ie blast furnace mod

We use too cook tater that way!!!! No ash won't kill you it put grit in your graw

I suspect cavemen did not eat steaks either. I just prefer a grate. And I have never felt the need to get more heat than I can get out of a Weber kettle. I have cooked on 1200F salamander broilers and while they are great (grate?) they are also far from fool proof. Fill you kettle with charcoal until it is about 4" below the grate, get it all lit and cook away.

I suspect cavemen did not eat steaks either. I just prefer a grate. And I have never felt the need to get more heat than I can get out of a Weber kettle. I have cooked on 1200F salamander broilers and while they are great (grate?) they are also far from fool proof. Fill you kettle with charcoal until it is about 4" below the grate, get it all lit and cook away.

haha. true that. i guess ill just use a crap load of charcoal and grill away!

On my 22.5 Weber I've just laid the grate from my little Smokey Joe directly on the coals. Worked really well and didn't get ashes all over the meat.

Back