• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st Cook on the Assassin w/ video

Nice job on the video and nice looking smoker. I am curious about the rack spacing. The picture on the Assassin web site looks like the shelves are evenly spaced. Did you have them put in with the different spacing for a reason?

The spacing on that I mentioned is the standard way the smoker is built. When I was first investigating the Assassin, I got this information from Jeff Connelly, the builder. His idea is that this gives you options with the minimum being 4". On the larger Assassin 28 all the shelves have 6" spacing.

The spacing on that I mentioned is the standard way the smoker is built. When I was first investigating the Assassin, I got this information from Jeff Connelly, the builder. His idea is that this gives you options with the minimum being 4". On the larger Assassin 28 all the shelves have 6" spacing.

Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It limits where taller cuts like a big butt or a brisket with a large point can be in the smoker.

Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It limits where taller cuts like a big butt or a brisket with a large point can be in the smoker.

I don't see how it is too much of a problem. When compaing to other similar smokers it is pretty standard. On the Stumps most of the spacing is 3.5"; the Rebel is 3.5"; the Superior is 5.5"; the Pitmaker Safe 4.5"; Backwoods Party 4". So, I think that you can see that having a 4", 4.5", 5" and 5.5" does give some options.

I don't see how it is too much of a problem. When compaing to other similar smokers it is pretty standard. On the Stumps most of the spacing is 3.5"; the Rebel is 3.5"; the Superior is 5.5"; the Pitmaker Safe 4.5"; Backwoods Party 4". So, I think that you can see that having a 4", 4.5", 5" and 5.5" does give some options.

I don't like the spacing on those, either :-D (except the Superior) I cooked on a Rebel 23 this past weekend and if I used one for competitions I would only use three shelves. I would leave out the second shelf down, and not use the bottom shelf. On my Party I had the rails built for 4 equally spaced shelves. 4" or 4.5" just isn't enough clearance for big butts without taking off some rub, so with the stock spacing butts would go on the third shelf down or the bottom shelf. The same would be true for a big brisket. We had one on Saturday that wouldn't fit in the 3.5" shelf spacing on the Rebel, and from looking at it it would have been very tight at 4.5"

I like the equal 6" spacing on the Assassin 28 much better, but the weight would be an issue.

I'm still impressed by your Assassin. It's just that my primary use is for competitions and the tighter spacing on the top two shelves would be limiting for me. I'm sure that Jeff could do one with four equally spaced shelves, or even with one less shelf if asked.

I don't like the spacing on those, either :-D (except the Superior) I cooked on a Rebel 23 this past weekend and if I used one for competitions I would only use three shelves. I would leave out the second shelf down, and not use the bottom shelf. On my Party I had the rails built for 4 equally spaced shelves. 4" or 4.5" just isn't enough clearance for big butts without taking off some rub, so with the stock spacing butts would go on the third shelf down or the bottom shelf. The same would be true for a big brisket. We had one on Saturday that wouldn't fit in the 3.5" shelf spacing on the Rebel, and from looking at it it would have been very tight at 4.5"

I like the equal 6" spacing on the Assassin 28 much better, but the weight would be an issue.

I'm still impressed by your Assassin. It's just that my primary use is for competitions and the tighter spacing on the top two shelves would be limiting for me. I'm sure that Jeff could do one with four equally spaced shelves, or even with one less shelf if asked.

I'm sure that they can be built with optional spacing. I will have to experiment with the spacing and use of the shelves. I'm not a competition cooker but I hope to cook a mixture of meats (brisket, butts, ribs) all at the same time.

Nice job on the video, I know you will really enjoy your cooker as you get to use it more and more. I just use a chimney for start up, and load up the chute after I've dumped in the hot coals. I have a rebel 17 and love it, I have to agree that for me anything short of 6" clearance really limits what you can cook on those lower shelves. You can always take one out which is what I would do, for loading one up with big meats. But it's nice to have that extra shelf for stuff like ribs, and man these verticals are a rib cooking machine.

Nice video, great smoker. I am sure you will enjoy it. One thing I started doing with my gravity feed smokers was cut a small piece of plate and put it over the charcoal chute under the lid, that will keep all of the mositure inside the cute and keep the top of the charcoal cute and the gasket dry. It works for me.

Nice video, great smoker. I am sure you will enjoy it. One thing I started doing with my gravity feed smokers was cut a small piece of plate and put it over the charcoal chute under the lid, that will keep all of the mositure inside the cute and keep the top of the charcoal cute and the gasket dry. It works for me.

Good idea. Thanks.

Ron,

I am having one built right now, I have had multiple conversations with Jeff on the phone about configurations of the racks. The one I ordered was the 28, after long consideration with what I needed which was going to be heavy on the competition side as well as catering as I do want to do that on the side if anyone wants my bbq. The rack configuration I did as I tried to maximize space while giving me enough room for all 4 categories.

From the top to the bottom, the first 4 racks are 3.5" then the last two are 5". Which is perfect for mass catering, ton of room for ribs, chicken and the bottom two to max out with 12 butts at a minimum. Now for the competition side, I can remove the top and the third rack which will give me 7", 7", 5", 5". The assassin 28 is obviously heavier but I needed the room and from what I see and understand it is easily movable on hard surfaces and plywood so I dont expect any issues as 95% of time it will be on a concrete/asphault. I personally think this was the best set up for an Assassin 28. Total 6 rack space brings my assassin to just over 3700 sq inches which will be over 200 sq inches more than a maxed out 5 rack stump stretch. For $3000 and another $50 per rack, $3100 out the door thats insane.

Ron,

I am having one built right now, I have had multiple conversations with Jeff on the phone about configurations of the racks. The one I ordered was the 28, after long consideration with what I needed which was going to be heavy on the competition side as well as catering as I do want to do that on the side if anyone wants my bbq. The rack configuration I did as I tried to maximize space while giving me enough room for all 4 categories.

From the top to the bottom, the first 4 racks are 3.5" then the last two are 5". Which is perfect for mass catering, ton of room for ribs, chicken and the bottom two to max out with 12 butts at a minimum. Now for the competition side, I can remove the top and the third rack which will give me 7", 7", 5", 5". The assassin 28 is obviously heavier but I needed the room and from what I see and understand it is easily movable on hard surfaces and plywood so I dont expect any issues as 95% of time it will be on a concrete/asphault. I personally think this was the best set up for an Assassin 28. Total 6 rack space brings my assassin to just over 3700 sq inches which will be over 200 sq inches more than a maxed out 5 rack stump stretch. For $3000 and another $50 per rack, $3100 out the door thats insane.

Dabomb, you'll love it. My Assassin is an outstanding piece of equipment, cranks out delicious BBQ while allowing Daddy to get some sleep. I'm looking forward to hearing about your first few smokes on it.

I sorta' have an idea of what I think you're talking about. Would you be so kind as to explain this in a little more detail, or perhaps post a pic. I'd like to see exactly what you're suggesting - it does sound like a good idea!

Nice looking rig and from the comments sounds like you have done yourself well.:-D

Really enjoyed the video and look forward to more of them!!

Thanks for sharing.:thumb:

Ron,

Thanks!

I just got off the phone with Jeff. Nice guy! I understand his reasoning for the shelf configuration in the original Assassin, but to me it's backwards. I would much rather have butts on top, then briskets, not the other way around. I like pork juice dripping on beef, not beef juice dripping on pork. Your idea is a good one, but I am very concerned about the weight of the 28. I asked Jeff if he could put no-flat "pneumatic" wheels on it to make it easier to move, 650-ish pounds is probably too much for my wife and I to handle if we have to take it up and down the toy hauler ramp.

I really don't need another cooker. I don't know why I'm even thinking about this :tsk:

I sorta' have an idea of what I think you're talking about. Would you be so kind as to explain this in a little more detail, or perhaps post a pic. I'd like to see exactly what you're suggesting - it does sound like a good idea!

Pics will probably be better, will do tonight.

Thanks!
I really don't need another cooker. I don't know why I'm even thinking about this :tsk:

I know how you feel...just seeing the video makes me want one though. It's a beautiful and well put together cooker.

I know how you feel...just seeing the video makes me want one though. It's a beautiful and well put together cooker.

Wait until you see one in person :rolleyes:

We cooked on NThole's Rebel 23 this past weekend. It did a great job on everything that we threw in there, and it was a lot of food :-D

This is how ours setup. Easy to move and load.

563210_157605377725777_1475217607_n_zpsa1129b3b.jpg

Is that a 23 or a 28? Did Jeff build it that way for you or did you do that after you received it?

Back