Opinion of STL BBQ from a true St. Louian.

DSCN3066.jpg

Around here they call those steaks, "Front-shoulder steaks", and yes, they are AWESOME on the BBQ

Mmmmmmmmmmm! Pork Steaks.
IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

My homesickness was in check until I saw these pics. So many great childhood memories that include Maul's-smothered porksteaks.

I am loathe to admit it took me 6 years to introduce my wife to these slices of heaven, and only on a trip back home to STL. Needless to say, shes a huge fan now; had never had them before (shes from Vegas). They're a staple in our house now. :-D

I believe if it is cut from a pork loin, it becomes a loin chop or loin steak. Also a very very good cut of pork that is boneless and fantastic when wrapped in bacon! :biggrin1:

As already mentioned, the staple of STL BBQ is the pork steak that is, yes, just a sliced up bone in pork butt.

I smoke full loins and serve with brocolli-rabe and provolone on garlic bread.

Made that at the american royal, except i had to use spinach. Tried to get brocolli rabe from a few stores, including RD, and everyone looked at me like i had 3 heads. Broccoli rabe seems to be a mysteries green in KC.

Learned something new today...been to St. Louis lots of times but never noticed the pork steak thing. On the list! Maybe less the Mauls...I may have to try it again though given the drool on my keyboard looking at those pics! I bought a bottle a month or so ago to try it, my initial reaction was it kind of tasted like watered down katsup.

"Bump" for a great thread, and general awesomeness.
Since I discovered the joys of smoking food, I have only fired up the grill for the occasional burger here and there, not even a steak.
But the talk and pictures of pork steaks has got me drooling.

I feel like I'm being called back to my roots of pork steaks and Maulls.

I have pics of all kinds of food, but none of pork steaks. Yum....

I grew up in the St. Louis area, just a little south, and my dad always did pork steaks with Maulls barbecue sauce on the Weber kettle. We still like to grill pork steaks and hit them with the sauce when we can't take the time for smoking the meat.

A fire's a fire, a grill is a grill; what makes that meat a culinary thrill; is what you do when you barbecue...you gotta maull it! You gotta maull it! And when you maull it! Don't baste your barbecue...don't baste your barbecue..MAULL IT!

http://youtu.be/uhACEONhsgg

St Louis BBQ is pork steaks in Maull's done in the backyard. We have some good "Q joints but Real Pork Steaks are in the backyards :clap2:

Back