first try at pulled pork

goodscotch

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
My first try at pulled pork yielded 2 nice smokey pork roast. I totally under estimated the time to get them done right. I had 2 4# butts and only gave myself 6 hours. Used 8# of hardwood chunks and 6# of charcoal. Need to make a few more modifications to the New Braunsfel but it will get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're learning the curve, it's done when it's done. Every piece of meat is different and it's hard to time them sometimes. If you need to serve at a certain time start early and then place the meat in a cooler to keep it hot for serving.

Tasty stuff isn't it?:clap:

Yep, those things get done on their own schedule. I've had guests sitting around waiting to eat at 9:00 p.m., so now I give myself LOTS of extra time and just hold them in a 150 degree oven when they get done too early.

Yeah, always have to give yourself more time, easier to keep it warm than have upset, hungry people. Did you foil the butts at all, that speeds the cook along when done properly.

As said above...always give yourself more time than you think you will need. Pratice will make perfect!!!

The temp by the fire box was 300*, 250* where the meat was and 175* at the far end. I didn't foil them at all and in 6 hours they got to 160*.
One of them learning things.
I did notice the smoke attracted a lot of flies so I gotta keep the sliding glass door closed next time.

Sounds like you are off to a good start, keep it up! :thumb:

Use the temp zones in the pit to your advantage cool side 2 hrs, hot side three hrs, finish in the middle.

I found a oven broiler plate that's just about the right size to use as a diffuser. I'll see if I can get that heat moved around a little.
Thanks for the help, Guys.

That's why I hate cooking for people, because there's always a set finish time. It's stressful trying to hit that, or not too soon :decision:

I wasn't cooking for anybody but me. I'm a widower so there's just me and my dog. I just didn't start soon enough. I fired up the pit at noon, way too late. A lesson learned.

Saw a mod on another site about sealing the lid with red RTV silicone. That oughta help contain the heat a bit better. Gotta figure a way to seal the fire box side door. It's gotta huge gap around it.

I wasn't cooking for anybody but me. I'm a widower so there's just me and my dog. I just didn't start soon enough. I fired up the pit at noon, way too late. A lesson learned.

I'm sure your best friend didn't complain one bit though!

Hey, great start! I have helped other people with their first butt on a new gas smoker. The directions always say it will be done in 5 or 6 hours..... Give me a break. My nieces husband was cooking one for dinner on his new smoker even after I told hime it would take longer. I ended up pulling it about midnight when they were all asleep :) but it was good.

Here's a tip from a guy on another site;

BTW, you can do pork in 6 hrs but you have to jack up the heat. When I do it hot n fast, I inject with a combination of apple juice, worcestershire, spices etc. (look up Bob Lilly's injection), rub and then smoke at 300 or so. Once the internal temp gets to 165 or so, I wrap it in foil and let it go until it's tender (internal 195-200ish). The finished product is every bit as good as doing it low n slow. Pork is very forgiving.

Back