temperature gauge on weber kettle

wormraper

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
sorry for yet another newbie post, but I wanna get it right if I possibly can. for my longer smokes I've been using a turkey thermometer and sticking it down one of the top ventilation holes in my weber 22.5 ots to gauge internal temps. but was thinking of drilling in a permanent temp gauge into the kettle lid. My problem is.........I don't know WHICH temp gauge to get. I don't wanna get some cheap POS that will die on me or be innaccurate but don't wanna overpay as well. can anyone recommend a good temp gauge (and where to get it at) that I can drill into my kettle lid?

A TelTru. Do a search on Amazon for 'em. They are adjustable so if they are off you can calibrate it to match a pot of boiling water aka 212*F.

Tel Tru are good, but I would get a river country- you can get them on amazon, but I think they might be cheaper on ebay with free shipping. They are cheaper (less expensive), very accurate, and very high quality as other brethren will attest to. Both are adjustable in the case that they are off by a few degrees. Don't get me wrong, the Tel Tru's are good, just a bit more money.

I wouldn't drill any hole. Get a Maverick ET 732 and feed the probes down through the vent or between the lid and kettle. Read your turkey temp and pit temp wirelessly.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365567177&sr=1-1&keywords=maverick+et-732"]Amazon.com: Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

Marty makes a good point. Ultra high temps, moisure and pinched wires are what kill probes, so as long as you take care in those areas, that will definitely work.

But if you do want to have one mounted, make sure you have a good sharp drill bit and cover the spot with two layers of Frog tape front and back to keep the finish from chipping. Use a couple of stainless steel washers with it. I would recommend mounting it on the opposite side from the vent. I mounted a Weber Q thermometer (7581) on a 18.5 inch kettle in this manner. Make sure you get one with the shortest stem length you can find if you are going to mount it this way. Here is Tel-Tru that would also work.

I wouldn't drill any hole. Get a Maverick ET 732 and feed the probes down through the vent or between the lid and kettle. Read your turkey temp and pit temp wirelessly.
Amazon.com: Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732: Home & Kitchen

YES!!!! Save a few more bucks up, get a 732. Waaayy more versatile than a plain jane thermometer. My 732 makes me really happy. And I too cook on a kettle. I cut a small notch in the edge of the lid so the wires do not pinch. I use a bread twisty tie to keep the wires together at that spot too so you dont have to hold the wires together when yo take the lid on and off.

sorry for yet another newbie post, but I wanna get it right if I possibly can. for my longer smokes I've been using a turkey thermometer and sticking it down one of the top ventilation holes in my weber 22.5 ots to gauge internal temps. but was thinking of drilling in a permanent temp gauge into the kettle lid. My problem is.........I don't know WHICH temp gauge to get. I don't wanna get some cheap POS that will die on me or be innaccurate but don't wanna overpay as well. can anyone recommend a good temp gauge (and where to get it at) that I can drill into my kettle lid?
I've been doing exactly what you do for years now, and personally I think you're trying to fix what ain't broke. Marty suggested an electronic alternative and there are certainly plenty to choose from, but for me an occasionally-calibrated $10 analog probe model does the job. I did think about installing a permanent model but then realized that permanence wouldn't necessarily be good if it affected the size, amount, and placement of items on the cookgrate, and a little bit of stiff wire can be used to position the probe wherever it needs to be.

thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll stick with my turkey thermometer for the time being and save up for a wireless one later if I find out that turkey therm isn't cutting it (or just end up sticking with the turkey thermometer if there's no real downside to use it. )

The ET-73 has served me well and is cheaper. Less wireless range (works for my use ) and the on/off button is behind the battery door. But close to 50% of the price for the ET-732

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B0000DIU49"]Amazon.com: Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET73: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

The Maverick is the best thing ever!!! Especially when the game is on inside.

The ET-73 has served me well and is cheaper. Less wireless range (works for my use ) and the on/off button is behind the battery door. But close to 50% of the price for the ET-732
I have both and was never disappointed with the ET-73 until I wanted to start a turkey at 500°F The ET-73 won't read that high. The ET-732 goes over 500° and the probes are supposed to withstand 712°F. My ET-73 cooker probe was starting to show damage at about 500°.

That said, the ET-73 is fine for smoking where temps rarely exceed its capabilities.

I have both and was never disappointed with the ET-73 until I wanted to start a turkey at 500°F The ET-73 won't read that high. The ET-732 goes over 500° and the probes are supposed to withstand 712°F. My ET-73 cooker probe was starting to show damage at about 500°.

That said, the ET-73 is fine for smoking where temps rarely exceed its capabilities.

Good to know, I usually only use my ET-73 when smoking for grate temp. I use the food probe when doing other meats on my kettle, but have never used it for high heat cooking.

That said mine has lasted 3 years or more now. I just am careful with the probes and just use a scotch brite pad and soapy water to clean off the probes and immediately dry them.

These are what I use on my OTG and Performer...

picture.php

picture.php

And, if this probe interferes with anything on the cook grate, then the kettle is WAY overloaded.

picture.php

I have a few River County temp gauges . They are accurate . inexpensive and also can adjust . My 3" gauges were only $16 each on amazon . You can get the 2" for cheaper .

I put an Weber Performer thermometer on my 22 1/2" OTG.
mmspicture001640.jpg

I also did a grommet mod to it.
grommet071024.jpg

Get the maverick. I have 2, and nothing beats having your temps near by when you can't be!

Back