Tonight's thrown together ccook

Smokin'Ron

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
ok, I'm a bit disapointed and happy at the same time.

Tried a few things tonight that I haven't tried yet on the UDS.

Baby Backs - threw 1 Rack on for 2.5 hours, wrapped with Apple Juice spritz for 45 minutes, and unwrapped with BBQ sauce for 30 minutes. They were falling apart, but tasted awesome.

Did a first ever Chicken Fatty (skinney?) with bell pepper, provolone, and onion inside. It actually turned out pretty tasty, I wqas worried about it drying out, but worked out well. Used some of the Burnt Sacrifice rub landarc sent me for a sprinkle, turned out realy good flavor and texture wise. It flattened out more than sausage, but kept together.

Now for the upsets. As you can see from the pics, I'm seeing a clean smoke so I'm not sure what the problems were.

I threw some potatoes and onions on as I have before and they came out chemical tasting althought he fatty and ribs taste awesome. Just not certain what happened here I put the taters on about 30 minutes after the rubs and fatty were already on.

I also did my first moink balls, but they were over cooked. I'll get that figured out later, only did a dozen and over done or not, I still ate 6 8).

That's the beginning of my evening. Just got the UDS down to 125* and tossed my makeshoft bacon on, long night ahead and a 6 pack in already...

More to come on the bacon.

Attachments

• P2060014.JPG
    P2060014.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 101
  • P2060015.JPG
    P2060015.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 101
  • P2060009.JPG
    P2060009.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 101
  • P2050004.jpg
    P2050004.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG00069-20100227-1706.jpg
    IMG00069-20100227-1706.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 102
Mmmm.... looks great from here too!:-D

Your food likes fine to me Ron!

Just remember the cook seems to be their own worst critic.

Thanks Papa and cowgirl.

Cant see anything wrong with this ROn,

Chicken Fatty is a good Idea!

I've been wanting to do a chicken fatty for my cousin who won't eat beef or pork and this was my first shot. Turned out really good, I was afraid it would dry out, but it was very juicy and had great flavor.

Your food likes fine to me Ron!

Just remember the cook seems to be their own worst critic.

I'm always hard on myself as you say, we are our own worst critic. I loved the Fatty and Ribs (even though they were ugly 8)). Just need to figure out where that funky flavor in the potatoes came from, I didn't notice it at all in the meat, but it concerns me a bit.

It could be the potatoes themselves. Where they storage potatoes? Sure they weren't greened up?

I may have found my issues by putting multiple posts about similar issues together. Think I need more exhaust or less intake.

I start the UDS with one nipple open and the ball valve completely open. I adjust the ball valve to set @ 250*. The Weber lid vents are the only Exhaust I have.

I thought about my cook last night and I had the nipple and ball valve wide open when I threw the onions and taters on, the meat was already on for a bit, but I think the taste difference was that the meat takes on the flavors much slower than the veggies(?). I remember closing off the open nipple and adjusting with only the ball valve a couple of hours in. My assumption is that this could have leveled the smoke intake to exhhaust correctly for the meat not to take on thoose off flavors.

Anyway, I think I have some more tuning to do with this UDS, the first thing is going to be 2 1" holes opposite the current vent in the Weber Lid. I'll get a couple of Magnets to adjust them as needed.

Thanks to all for the input...

Back