Odd Competition Rigs

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

If you are aware of an odd or unique smoker and have some info on it or the owner, please post that info here or pm me.

We would like to have a feature in issue four of Smoke Signals about idiosyncratic rigs and the people that manufacture and use them.

Thanks!

Eric

I'd start with Dave Klose. He has a section on his website called unique pits. (beer bottle smoker, Continental Airlines Smoker, Baby carraige smoker, mail box smoker, Chuck Wagon Smoker, Train Smoker, etc)

http://www.bbqpits.com/

There was a cooker out at Great Bend this weekend that looked like a big rodeo bull bucking with his back feet in the air. I don't know whose it and I forgot to take a picture. Maybe someone else who was out there knows?

Lion Bout The Q had a smoker that was shaped like a giant beer bottle. I don't know if he still uses it since he bought his FEC.

There was a cooker out at Great Bend this weekend that looked like a big rodeo bull bucking with his back feet in the air. I don't know whose it and I forgot to take a picture. Maybe someone else who was out there knows?

There's one in TX and I missed getting a pic last 2 times I saw it. Then I found out the guy has the same last name as me. Not very common, so it may be a cousin.

Cooked next to a guy in Bakersfield who had just modified a rolling toolbox and was cooking on it for the first time.

gallery_138_221996.jpg

PM Rub-A-Dub. He works for an electrical utility and built a smoker out of a massive transformer cabinet. I don't have a photo of it, tho.

Lion Bout The Q had a smoker that was shaped like a giant beer bottle. I don't know if he still uses it since he bought his FEC.
Its a giant BBQ sause bottle..I still have it and use it, just not for KCBS comps as I am old and like the sleep I get with the FEC. Thanks for remembering it Ron..

Saw one years ago made outta Casket? Guess they didn't cook very well...

I cooked from across a gentleman that had converted a huge semi truck fuel tank in to a vertical smoker. Talk about a UDS, it was huge. If a UDS is 55 gallons, this must have been over 100.

Wish I could remember who it was or had a picture.

There's a team around here somewhere called Swine Flew. They've been competing for many years and their smoker is an old airplane. Someone at the Royal in 2008 was featured on the news cooking in the trunk of a classic car.

Here is my little smoker that holds the worlds shortest smoker record being used for its one and only competition at RocCity Ribfest 2009. Placed 26/62

IMG_1923.jpg

0523091152.jpg

0523091152b.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

North Main BBQ in Euless, TX has the armadillo smoker. (anatomicly correct) I know they use it at at least a few comps.

Last edited:
JUICY BUTTS BBQ has a 1979 DJ-5 Jeep that has been converted into a smoker and also has 2 grills under the hood.

Here is a picture of a 125lb piggy.

Attachments

• Smokey J Pig.JPG
    Smokey J Pig.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 145
Here's the front section with the grills. Notice the smoke exiting from the roof vent ? There is a wood stove setting where the tranny used to. It supplies the heat/smoke for the interior.

Attachments

• Smokey JeeP @ the Ranch.jpg
    Smokey JeeP @ the Ranch.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 142
These are a crackup! I'd love to see the armadillo!

Here are two we see every year in Durango, CO -- High Country Cookers' elk cooker, and Bare Butt BBQ's bear cooker. What's really special is that when people come close to get a look, the elk bugles and the bear roars.

elkcooker.jpg

bearcooker.jpg

Back