• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I give...what's a Fatty??

Ok, I know this thread is 7 pages long, and I'm resurrecting it after 2 years .... but I've read it (and others) ... looked at the pictures ... and still don't know the answer to the original question "what's a Fatty??".

I get that it is Jimmy Dean Breakfast Pork Sausage (or similar) that is often split/spread/wrapped/filled and then smoked/BBQ.

But what's this JD Sausage stuff?

Is it pre-cooked, 'cold cuts' like stuff we'd call Devon or Strassburg
Primo2011Devon6919.png
Primo2011-45761.png

... smallgoods 'sausages' that are precooked/smoked/cured that you usually eat directly out of the pack.

Or

Is it essentially 'raw sausage meat':
sausage-mince-raw.jpg

... processed raw meat that is most often filled into sausage-casings.
Some butchers here sell this stuff in fat-tubes which I guess could be the local equivalent of the magical JD Breakfast Sausage that is so popular for making Fatties.

Hey Wolfy, the JD (Jimmy Dean) and other brands of sausage they are talking about is seasoned raw meat as in picture 2 above, but packaged like picture 1.

http://jimmydean.com/products/Sausage/

I haven't seen this outside the US, and they get loads of flavours e.g. Breakfast Sausage, Hot Sausage, Italian Sausage, even the chorizo they talk about is raw meat chorizo style in a chubb - if you're more used to the spanish type you can just slice and eat.

Us non-Americans, achieve the same by either using pork mince (your picture 2) with BBQ rub and/or other seasonings mixed in to taste or by using sausage meat from the butcher/supermarket or taking the meat out of actual sausages of different flavours.

I was in the States earlier this year and I spent a lot of my time just scouring the supermarkets for all the ingredients our American Brethren take for granted. Although I did end up smoking my first 'naked fatty' (Jimmy Dean Maple with Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy rub), I was mostly just out to see what they look like and how to adapt ingredients available to myself.

Hey Wolfy, the JD (Jimmy Dean) and other brands of sausage they are talking about is seasoned raw meat as in picture 2 above, but packaged like picture 1.

http://jimmydean.com/products/Sausage/

I haven't seen this outside the US, and they get loads of flavours e.g. Breakfast Sausage, Hot Sausage, Italian Sausage, even the chorizo they talk about is raw meat chorizo style in a chubb - if you're more used to the spanish type you can just slice and eat.

Us non-Americans, achieve the same by either using pork mince (your picture 2) with BBQ rub and/or other seasonings mixed in to taste or by using sausage meat from the butcher/supermarket or taking the meat out of actual sausages of different flavours.
Hence my confusion ... x2.

Thanks for the info, think I can get plain-sausage meat and will see what I can do about seasoning like you suggested ... need to christen the UDS tomorrow! :)

I knew what a fatty was, but admit to never having made one...or tried one for that matter.

How long do they take to smoke...and what temp? I'm smoking 22 pounds of pork belly this Sat...can I smoke a fatty or two along with the bacon? I'm guessing they will take about the same time...fatty perhaps a bit longer.

Love the feta cheese/olive idea...simple but flavorful I'm sure. Also will try naked.

Couple more question...how long will it keep if vac sealed in fridge? How do they take to freezing and how do you guys reheat? Thinking of bringing these to an Xmas party to share along with my bacon gifts....thanks!

Last edited:
Fatties are ridiculous. PRON

Shown is my apple pie stuffed fatty and a potato, cheese, pepper and onion stuffed fatty. Just let your heart lead you as to how to create your own fatty.

Last edited:
Back