• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

slicing brisket

We've tried three different knives plus an electric. After all is said and done, it's practice, practice, practice.......

I use a 12" Granton. I have a eletric, a cordless and about 4 other big slicers that I should sell on eBay. One bit of advice that I started doing. Right after brisket turn in. Go back you your camp and slice everything to turn in size. No matter how much you want to sit and catch your breath. Practice on them at comp style conditions than on those practice one's you do at home. Or don't just wrap them up and do them the next day. Hit them when they are hot. As Walt said... Practice.

Speaking of Walt. When are you going to be ready to get rid of that FE? I need to leave one out NE. Save me some driving.

I use a 12" Granton. I have a eletric, a cordless and about 4 other big slicers that I should sell on eBay. One bit of advice that I started doing. Right after brisket turn in. Go back you your camp and slice everything to turn in size. No matter how much you want to sit and catch your breath. Practice on them at comp style conditions than on those practice one's you do at home. Or don't just wrap them up and do them the next day. Hit them when they are hot. As Walt said... Practice.

Speaking of Walt. When are you going to be ready to get rid of that FE? I need to leave one out NE. Save me some driving.

Of the knives that we've tried, Theresa finds that the inexpensive Dexter Russel 12" Granton works the best and, as Scotty says, we carefully slice the entire briskets after each comp to gain more practice. We carry the majic chef sharpener and keep the knives very sharp. Theresa quickly wipes the blade after each slice (otherwise, you can get particles all over the next slice).

As for the FE, consider returning to your roots and pick up our slightly used and award winning Lang 60 which is up for sale......sticks rule!!

Doctor Porkenstein said:
Back off my FE

Hmmmmm, do I smell a bidding war? :icon_pissed

Hmmmmm, do I smell a bidding war? :icon_pissed

Nah, I'll just talk to Cookshack. My friend from Wisconsin wants to be just like me. Soon, he will have the power of 2 FE's... :roll: :eek: :twisted:

To keep on topic, I also have a 14" granton that I think is too big for slicing.

Everyone knows that you can't cook on both a FE and a Geer pit. No how no way... I couldn't even imagine anyone being able to accomplish such a feet. It's new school v. old school.... :icon_shy

I vote for slicing the brisket all the way through.

Everyone knows that you can't cook on both a FE and a Geer pit. No how no way... I couldn't even imagine anyone being able to accomplish such a feet. It's new school v. old school.... :icon_shy

lmao....whoda thunk!!:tongue:

Remember to slice Against The Grain

First time I heard this phrase was from Charlie Alkali himself in Galveston. I didn't get what he was saying. He had to show me on a flat of fajitas.

His first instruction was slice diagonal to make 1 to 2" slices in width. I looked at the flanks steak and said.."It's a half an inch thick. How can I make meat larger than it is"
I think I was maybe 12 at the time.

This scene and the fire my father started with Charlie's secret marinade in the fireplace are in my book.

Scottie if you have a slaicer for sale maybe we can work something out.

I over cook it and grind it and put miracle whip with it a little sweet pickle relish and put it on a bun and call it a dam day. because dude I messed up. Feed it to the neighbors.

Brian, we have got to get you on a date to get a better picture for your avatar! Of course "bashey" was pretty tasty...

Which sharpener do you have?

We have the Chef's Choice model 130 Professional Sharpening station. Would highly reccomend it to anyone, makes quick work of keeping all of are knives very sharp!

chefs130tuq0.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ditto what she said! We have the same one. Only thing I would say is practice the first couple of times with a knife you don't mind screwing up a little. That first wheel has some bite!

I usually just use the steel and the strop disk

I know Cooks Illustrated rated it their favorite as well

Back