Racks of Lamb

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
First time cooking a rack of lamb. They were awesome. Trimmed off the silver skin and fat. Pulled the membrane off of the back. Marinaded in Allegro Hot and Spicy. Rubbed one rack with Plowboys Yardbird rub and the other with Dizzy Pig Jamaican Fire. Placed in the FEC-100 set to 340 for about 30 minutes. Pulled when internal temps hit 140. They were a nice medium rare. Perfect as far as I was concerned. The Dizzy Pig rub caramelized a bit better. Probably because of the turbinado sugar in it. If I were to do it again, I'd add some raw sugar to the Plowboys rub. In all honesty, I liked the Dizzy Pig rack better, but both were awesome.

The best part is that you can just pick up rib by the frenched bones and eat.

Attachments

• lamb; bbq 003 [640x480].JPG
    lamb; bbq 003 [640x480].JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 140
  • lamb; bbq 004 [640x480].JPG
    lamb; bbq 004 [640x480].JPG
    41 KB · Views: 138
  • lamb 001 [640x480].JPG
    lamb 001 [640x480].JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 137
  • lamb 003 [640x480].JPG
    lamb 003 [640x480].JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 136
Good looking grub, Plowboy.
I really like them lamb ribs.
I think 140 is the perfect temp to pull from the fire.

We love lamb chops, but I've never smoked them, only grilled. My favorite rub for lamb is fresh rosemary, fresh garlic, sea salt, and olive oil. Mash it all up and rub it on.

Good looking grub, Plowboy.
I really like them lamb ribs.
I think 140 is the perfect temp to pull from the fire.

Treated it like I would a pork tenderloin. Meat texture was about the same.

It was really between grilling and smoking. It was indirect, but a pretty hot fire for "smoking'.

Wow Todd, that looks great! Makes me want to try lamb for the first time!:p I keep hearing BBQjoes advice everytime I go to look for it.

Looks great Todd, I did a Rack o Lamb a couple weeks ago, but had to do it inside, and it didn't look that good.

Todd those looked awesome! Looks like lamb chops are on the menu this weekend.

Looks great - Jamie (lazzyacres) made soem great lamb at the Booen Fair, he still has not told me his marinade. I do like your rub, I added some raw sugar to it and some dried thyme. Talk about your tongue smacking your brain out.

The last picture looks like Jorge's avatar

Todd, I'm also interested in the method and seasoning you used on the new potatos

Were they canned, or fresh reds?

I love them as a side dish, along with candied carrot slices, as we get back to winter sit down meals.

The last picture looks like Jorge's avatar

Todd, I'm also interested in the method and seasoning you used on the new potatos

Were they canned, or fresh reds?

I love them as a side dish, along with candied carrot slices, as we get back to winter sit down meals.

Bill, those are gnocchi: italian potato dumplings. Olive oil, basil, oregano, and garlic.

What flavor pellets didja use?[/quote]

Cherry

We love lamb chops, but I've never smoked them, only grilled. My favorite rub for lamb is fresh rosemary, fresh garlic, sea salt, and olive oil. Mash it all up and rub it on.

You mean kinda like this?

rackoflamb-1.jpg

I like to use a little fresh marjoram and oregano as well. You almost get full just smelling the smoke as you sear it .

Thanx for the pix, now I know what I'm gonna thaw out for tomorrow night.

I'd mash it up a little more, but yeah, that looks like rosemary.

Bill, those are gnocchi: italian potato dumplings. Olive oil, basil, oregano, and garlic.

What flavor pellets didja use?

Cherry[/quote]

Never made gnocci but always wanted to. Do you have a recipe you'd like to share?

Back