uncured pork belly trimmings?

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
From my last 4 bacon cooks I have several pounds of trimmings from pork bellies. The thing is, my Globe 12" slicer can only take pieces of meat 7" long so I cut my pork bellies into pieces 7" long and save the scraps in the freezer.

I'd been planning to grind them for sausage but now I'm looking for something different. Any good recipe ideas? Doesn't need to involve a smoker or grill - anything tasty will do.

Thanks!

Cure the whole thing, cook it all, then trim.

Great in beans, ham and beans, ham potpie.

If you have the fat... confit them. I guarantee you will find a dozen uses for them, but may just eat them straight from a bowl.

Grind them and mix 50/50 with a ground sirloin or other lean beef, makes a great burger on the grill.

When I trim a pork butt I remove both the false fat cap and the fat cap so there is lean between the 2 layers I turn this in to salt pork. I first cut it in to 1.5 " chunks the I rub the down liberally with pickling salt a little brown sugar and a pinch of black peppa. This goes in too a zip bag and into the bottom of the fridge for 3 days then I transfer it to the freezer. when I make a pot of beans I grab 4-5 chunks for the pot.

Back