Chicken wings - Is this cheating?

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I did my third run of wings on the UDS tonight after two utter failures. This batch turned out much better as I used a diffuser and cranked the heat up to over 300 for the cook.

Used two Simply Marvelous rubs - left wings in bags mixed with rub overnight.

Anyway I have done no saucing on my wings and when I took this batch off the texture and crispness were great but I didn't feel like the rub flavor was really present. So was a bit disappointed

But then I decided to shake some rub on them and suddenly they were fantastic wings.

My question is this: theoretically if I were turning wings in for a contest, is it fine to dust them with rub after they are cooked? I view it the same as saucing but for some reason the traditionalist in me is saying this would be viewed as a shortcut. Opinions? :-D:twisted:

Yep. It's fine to dust with rub before you turn in your entry. We usually dust all of our entries.

There are guys that will hit their meat with a very fine powder, as the above post says, Finishing Powder or Finishing Dust, it adds a nice punch at the end.

Judges like that which what tastes good.
As long as you're within the rules, DO THAT.

What's the old saying? If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying. Seriously, finishing rub is all good.

Back