First Spare Ribs with Pron

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So, I've been wanting to get some Spare and cut them to St. Louis and finally made the plunge (them being on sale almost $2 a pound less than St. Louis helped).

Myron Mixon is doing a BBQ Meal competition and this was my entry for it

Here's the whole cook if you want to check it out. http://onenine3bbq.blogspot.com/2013/07/first-spares-to-st-louis-ribs-for-myron.html

P1020963.JPG

I used some new rub my sister got me from Southern Soul in South GA.

P1020973.JPG

For dessert, I tried to play up Myron's wheelhouse and smoked some Peaches.

P1020977.JPG

The entry photo ... the ribs, jalapeno sweet cornbread, and baked beans. With smoked peaches and ice cream for dessert, and an after dinner drink.

P1020978.JPG

If any of you make it down to Southern Soul, the rub is really good if you want to try it out. It's more of a traditional tasting rub than a more sweet rub others have now.

wait, WHAT? first ribs?

anyhoo, if thats what your first look like, boy, look out!

wait, WHAT? first ribs?

anyhoo, if thats what your first look like, boy, look out!

No, that's my first Spares to cut down to St. Louis cut ... although I didn't make it to the St. Louis cut area. They're more Carolina cut than anything

You had me until the SWEET cornbread, thing. You had jalapeno cornbread CAKE.:razz:

Ribbers look good. You're coming along nicely, Upstate.

Looks great! @Pat- that sweet cone bread is some good eatin! Here we call it Johnny cake, and it's about as addictive as crack. (I hear crack is very addictive lol) Add the heat of the jalaps and it's out of this world!

You had me until the SWEET cornbread, thing. You had jalapeno cornbread CAKE.:razz:

Ribbers look good. You're coming along nicely, Upstate.

You don't know cornbread till you've tried some of my wife's. I had actually stopped eating it, because most places dry it out and you just can't eat it. She made it the first time and I knew what I had been missing

You don't know cornbread till you've tried some of my wife's. I had actually stopped eating it, because most places dry it out and you just can't eat it. She made it the first time and I knew what I had been missing

That's exactly my problem, especially when I try to make it myself. It always turns out too dry.

Ribs look good BTW!

That looks awesome!! Good luck in the contest. Southern Soul is one of my favorite places on Earth. Was kinda surprised when we returned for our annual trip to SSI and saw the seafood market was gone. We were planning on a Low Country Boil for dinner that night, but no one seemed to mind the awesome BBQ we brought home instead. Been going back ever since, though these days it's getting a little "hip". Food still rocks though.

Back