Parkay Chicken

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

If you are one of those people that uses parkay with their competition chicken, what is your process? Do you smoke the chicken first and then finish it in the parkay? Do you cook it entirely in the parkay? Do you go from smoker, to parkay, to grill to tighten it up after the parkay?

How long do you cook it in the parkay?

Thanks!

Eric

1 hour +- pan and parkay.... then...
^ 1 hour Right on grate, tightening up and getting some sauce love at the end

1 hour +- pan and parkay.... then...
^ 1 hour Right on grate, tightening up and getting some sauce love at the end

Thanks Dan. So your chicken is about a 2 hour process (as far as the cooking goes)? That is much longer than what I had anticipated.

And Big Ace, I appreciate the link. I love Pickled Pig. I've read that over numerous times over the last few weeks. It's a great tutorial. Strangely, their total cooking time is about 50 minutes.

Eric

Thanks Dan. So your chicken is about a 2 hour process (as far as the cooking goes)? That is much longer than what I had anticipated.

And Big Ace, I appreciate the link. I love Pickled Pig. I've read that over numerous times over the last few weeks. It's a great tutorial. Strangely, their total cooking time is about 50 minutes.

Eric

Yup, it really depends on conditions.
Wind and cold prevent the WSM from really getting up in temp so I need to build in a bit more time. If it is hot and not windy, then it is easier and the time might be a bit less.

The last time we got a nice call in CHX, there was no parkay, margarine or butter involved.

We don't compete anymore, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

why does everyone use that parkay crap? there has got to be a reason why you use parkay and not clarified butter....any help with why parkay over clarified butter would be appreciated

Hi,

If you are one of those people that uses parkay with their competition chicken, what is your process? Do you smoke the chicken first and then finish it in the parkay? Do you cook it entirely in the parkay? Do you go from smoker, to parkay, to grill to tighten it up after the parkay?

How long do you cook it in the parkay?

Thanks!

Eric
It's one of those things were it's best to take a class and find out exactly how another does then go home and eat chicken twice a week for 2 months to get your process right. At least that's how I did it. And you can do searches on this Forum and read thousands of posts and you can put most peoples process together. I know mines there.

Using parkay is a myth....
You learned well grasshopper. See you in Mobile.

why does everyone use that parkay crap? there has got to be a reason why you use parkay and not clarified butter....any help with why parkay over clarified butter would be appreciated
there is a reason. Actually a couple. salt content and squeezable. If somebody makes a salted clarified squeezable butter and can sell it for the same price as Parkay then I'd try it.

Butter burns at lower temps than alternatives. Also has a lower smoke point.

"parkay" method pulled us 5th place out of 50+/- teams in franklin NC last year. We used that method in our last 4 comps of the year and never placed lower than 16th. Not bad for a new method we weren't familiar with....then.

Parkay is a good one but there are two other "butter-ish" items that we use instead. There are plenty of great starting points for your chicken cook method. Just give them a try and find out what works for you

Butter burns at lower temps than alternatives. Also has a lower smoke point.
smoking point or when it burns does not come into play in my method. As the chicken is less than 160F when covered there's no chance of burning. When covered the juice from the chicken is added to the butter so it again raises the point for burning and the chicken is still less than 190F so the liquid does not even boil.

So the burn temp does not really come into play. Like I said earlier the key to Parkay is a semi solid substance that sets up nicely around the chicken during the night in the fridge.

Back