Review: Original vs Competition Kingsford Charcoal (long with lots o' pics)

... So, when should we expect a review of Stubbs and Royal Oak briquettes? :p I jest, because I know how much work it can be, but it would be interesting.

Ha! That will be a while. As I mentioned earlier, these are fun to do, but
there's a lot of time and work involved.

I'd guess that I've invested 15-20 hours in this post between the planning,
testing, shooting, image post-production/slicing/splicing, and writing.

John

just a guess here, but the difference could be as simple the density of which the briquets are made. the lighter more airy briq will burn faster and hotter than its more dense alternative. just like natural wood, hardwoods will burn much longer than lighter density wood. i question if the binders have as much to do with the results as the physics do.

again just guessing here, but the comp looks more like a marketing ploy than an improved product. the equal volumes of undisturbed ash isnt suprising, the size of the piles was similar at the onset. the comp may just be holding more air between the ash particles.

What I liked best about the competition charcoal was the check for $1250.00 that Kingsford sent me just for using thier fine product. :-D

What I liked best about the competition charcoal was the check for $1250.00 that Kingsford sent me just for using thier fine product. :-D

thats why i quit using their product. i never got my check.:-D J/K care to expound on your windfall?

Interesting to say the least.

I have to ask one question though, wouldn't your ash weight be more representative if you had same starting weights pre-burn instead of number of briquettes?
You're original K starting weight was already more than the comp K's starting weight.

Interesting to say the least.

I have to ask one question though, wouldn't your ash weight be more representative if you had same starting weights pre-burn instead of number of briquettes?
You're original K starting weight was already more than the comp K's starting weight.

Probably, but it's too late now. You can pretty easily calculate a very close
starting weight for each using the briquet weights.

John

Probably, but it's too late now. You can pretty easily calculate a very close
starting weight for each using the briquet weights.

John

It comes out to a little over a half ounce more competition ash.
Sorry, I guess my college years of spending WAY to much time in lab is coming back to me :p:redface::p

Good review!!

It comes out to a little over a half ounce more competition ash.

How can that be? I weighed the ash and the comp weighed just shy of twice
as much? How are you getting only a half-ounce difference, and in the other
direction? I don't get it.

John

Used decimals for ease
10 briq. original K = 8.625 oz ; each individual briq. = .75 oz
10 briq. comp K = 6.25 oz ; each individual briq. = .625

12 briq. original K = 10.125 oz
12 briq. comp K = 7.5 oz
2.625 oz less comp K; divided by .625 = 4.2 extra competition briq.

Ash comp K = 1.625 oz divided by 12 briq.= .14 oz per comp briq multiplied by the extra 4.2 comp briq. = .588 extra comp ash

So total ash would be
original = 3 oz
comp. .588 + 1.625 = 2.213 oz
.787 oz. more original K ash

Sorry I am bored and it is cold as H$LL out!!

I still don't get it. I weighed the ash on a scale. Why do you need to calculate what's
been weighed?

Oh well...

John

Kingsford had a program at the American Royal, if you were using the Comp coal and won a catagory, they matched the winning prize money. We won the pork catagory and Kingsford matched the $1250.00 first place money. Ya Kingsford!

kingsford had a program at the american royal, if you were using the comp coal and won a catagory, they matched the winning prize money. We won the pork catagory and kingsford matched the $1250.00 first place money. Ya kingsford!

ya you for winning the comp.

I still don't get it. I weighed the ash on a scale. Why do you need to calculate what's
been weighed?

Oh well...

John

Yeah, but did you zero out the scale for the tare weight of the pie tin? :becky:

Nice job! Thanks. :thumb:

But this is useless without a test using two WSMs with Stokers for a burn time comparison at a constant temperature. :wink:
OK, I'll go visit the penalty box now! :becky:

Kingsford had a program at the American Royal, if you were using the Comp coal and won a catagory, they matched the winning prize money. We won the pork catagory and Kingsford matched the $1250.00 first place money. Ya Kingsford!

NICE...ya think they would do the same for me if i won the prestigous "drunk guys with shotguns" rib competition?:p

Thanks for the info! I have been wondering about the comp briqs. I like your idea of using a mix of blue and comp! Good work!!:thumb:

Back