Bandera Charcoal Basket

ace27705

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I plan on making a charcoal basket for my bandera next weekend and was wondering if any bandera owners out there know the proper dimentions to build it .

I dont have pics available but all I did was measure my firebox and built one that would drop in from the top. I left the old fire grate on the bottom most rack so the new basket sits on top of the grate. It comes up most of the way to the top but it doesn't need to be quite that high

Not sure what the dimensions are, but I made it from one piece of expanded steel. It sits on top of the new fire grate I made out of expanded steel. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• 100_7127 (Small).JPG
    100_7127 (Small).JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_7126 (Small).JPG
    100_7126 (Small).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 135
that looks about 2 inches off each side..how tall it the basket ? and have you had good success with it ?

that looks about 2 inches off each side..how tall it the basket ? and have you had good success with it ?

It's 2 to 3 inches off each side and I think about 8 inches tall. I don't remember what size the sheet of expanded steel was. Home Depot sells it. I cut it in half, bent a corner into each piece, and then bolted the two pieces together. Doing a minion method burn in the basket gives me 4 to 6 hours of burn time at 275* to 290*. It's a nice alternative to stick burning in the Bandera.
Sorry I don't have the exact measurements at the moment. If you need some more info, let me know. Happy to help.

The Bandera firebox is 16" x 20". I made the basket for mine 12" x 12" x 6" and it's raised off the bottom by about 1 1/2".

Back