Cleanliness Advice

M

MasterGator

I just competed in the Lakeland Pig Fest this past weekend. One thing I did not anticipate was a place to put my drippings. I was also displeased at my food prep area. There were juices flying everywhere, dripping covering my tables and just a huge mess. I tried to keep a very sanitary space but this was a huge battle. Do you guys have any advice on how to present a cleaner cooking space?

We just clean as we go as much as possible. Don't skimp on using paper towels and clorox wipes.

I just competed in the Lakeland Pig Fest this past weekend. One thing I did not anticipate was a place to put my drippings. I was also displeased at my food prep area. There were juices flying everywhere, dripping covering my tables and just a huge mess. I tried to keep a very sanitary space but this was a huge battle. Do you guys have any advice on how to present a cleaner cooking space?

It's hard to offer anything specific without knowing how you are set up.

Some tips...

1) Disposable cutting boards are your friend.

2) Wrap any pans that aren't disposable in foil or plastic wrap, depending on the use of the pan.

3) place meat on those pans to move it around your site.

4) As soon as you finish a process, clean up as time allows.

5) If #4 isn't working then take a look at how you are working to see if you can streamline things to create some time.

I've cooked messy, and I've cooked clean and efficient. Being efficient has made a world of difference for me.

Disposable cutting boards, ones the the edges fold to make a border help. I always set up a raw space and a cooked space. The use of sheet pans and alum. pans help also.Makes sense to clean as you go. Lots of towels and wipes. Steve.

Disposable table cloths with table clips.

At the very least, a couple big pieces of foil to wrap your work space (newspaper tends to fly away even with those table clips).

Trim all meat at home

Inject meats in bags if possible. You can also inject through the cryo if you want.

Do like Jorge said and foil the work area then just wrap it up and throw it away.

Do what you can to reduce clutter. It amazes me to see all the stuff some people travel with.

The use of butcher paper to cover all tables and work surfaces. Use muti layers and then remove wad and throw as necessary. The paper absorbes juice, is easy on knives and is environmentaly friendly not to mention cheaper. Sam's Clubs carry big rolls and you can buy the roll holder at a supply store. I large roll will last for the season with room to spare.

Last edited:
I brew beer. Anyone who brews is familiar with the need to sanitize equipment. I have been bringing Starsan to comps and I keep a bucket full of sanitized water. After cleaning I let things like tongs etc soak in the bucket. Just one more level of cleanliness that I think is important. I also let my knives soak - handles up!

A wise man once told me that its as easy as ABC, Always Be Cleaning.

all of the prep tables that I use are stainless, and easy to clean. I like to put meats into hotel pans to season or to wrap or unwrap and have found they catch much of the mess. I'm not a big fan of disposable things or wrapping stuff, what I have found works for me is to use a dough blade to scrape off the cutting boards or hotel pans into the trash before I try to wash them. It gets rid of the big messy stuff and makes clean up a whole lot easier. I also keep Clorox wipes prepositioned within an arms reach of most work areas and use them all the time.

Like Jorge said, I think one of the biggest things is to find your groove and and figure out what works for you.

Just remember, if you're leaning you ain't cleaning........lol

Sean, love your new avatar. Another thing to consider here is to ask for a friend/spouse, etc to come and help just be the cleaning person. I try to keep up with stuff as we do them, in fact everybody on our team has pretty much gotten accustomed to cleaning their mess after making it. But during turn-ins and the finishing cooks things get really gross. Find your groove and get some help. Scott

Rich Parker said:
That's interesting. Do you vacuum pack them at home to transport to the comp?
I have food service bags I put the meat in.

We use freezer paper on our tables because one side of the paper is coated in plastic. So the juices and what not dont soak through.

Also I think having running hot water is a big help.

Pick up some bus tubs at Sams. Great multi-taskser! Use to transport stuff to get to the contest, then hold your meats during prep, and finally as sinks for washing up. When not in use they stack together neatly, taking up little space.

Back