Best way to cool #120 of pork butts

CrimsonSmoke

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am finishing up 120 pounds of pork butts for an event that is on Wednesday evening. I really don't want to pull all of it want to leave some whole so they can pull as needed. My question is what is best way to cool down after I take out of cooler. They are about 4 pounds cooked. Can I cool them down whole or should I cut them in half then cool. I do have a foodsaver. Thanks in advance for the help.

At 4 pounds cooked, I think they'd be fine left whole, or maybe just split in two. I think the best way (and safest way) to do it is stick the butts in ziploc bags then put them in a cooler full of ice, then cover with ice. With that much pork you'll probably need more than 1 cooler and you'll have to do it in batches. Once the pork is cooled from the ice bath, you can stick in the fridge.

I would split them in two, vacuum pack once you can handle them, then crash cool in a cooler full of ice and water. The water is the key, it pulls the heat from the butts much faster than cold air.

When I do large amounts of pulled pork I pull it all, vac seal in 3# bags (gallon size works well and mash 'em kinda flat for easier reheating). I do the last couple/few bags in 2# and 1# sizes so at the end I'm not reheating more than necessary. I reheat by boiling in the bag. Works great for me, YMMV.

Boiling the vac bag? Safe?

When I do large amounts of pulled pork I pull it all, vac seal in 3# bags (gallon size works well and mash 'em kinda flat for easier reheating). I do the last couple/few bags in 2# and 1# sizes so at the end I'm not reheating more than necessary. I reheat by boiling in the bag. Works great for me, YMMV.

Please forgive a dumb east Tennessee boy, but is it safe to boil the vac bags to reheat the pork?

Please forgive a dumb east Tennessee boy, but is it safe to boil the vac bags to reheat the pork?

Yes it is safe. The bags are sealed and won't let any water into the bag. If you have a bag that has air in it, do not try this method. That bag will have a hole in it and let water in.

As another dumb East TN boy lemme answer (grew up in Knoxville & spent a night in Cleveland once - although the visit was unplanned, involuntary and in a, um, "controlled environment") - I don't know about all bags, but the Foodsaver ones work just fine and I think are designed for it. You don't want the bags resting on the bottom of the pot though, 'cause then they'll melt due to the direct heat. I don't think I've ever had a problem with them sitting on the bottom of the pot.

Thanks for all the advice. Doing just as you guys suggest and putting in 3# bags and crash cooling then sealing.

Gallon sided ziplock bags and put 3-4lbs per bag. Push the air out, and drop in an ice slurry bath to cool them. Personally I have found that it takes just as long to bag, cool and then reheat large quantities of pork like this that it is just as easy to cook it fresh.

Back