Pulled Pork Prices

jman1972

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals how is it going. I am a long time member but I haven't posted in a looong time. I am still barbequing, just don't have the time or money to compete anymore. I lost my job last June and since then I have started Nursing school. Anyway enough about me. I have been selling my pulled pork for several years now to friends and family. I was brought to my attention yesterday from one of my wife's co-workers that I need to raise my prices. She has bought from me before but said I am way lower than what she has seen around us. I charge 8.00/lb. She says she cant find any below 10.00/lb. What do you all charge for your pulled pork?

$13.95/lb. Curious on what the cost per lb is for pork butts back east. Here in cali, Farmer Johns was on sale for $1.49. RD's current price is $1.42, but I think that is for boneless, and not quite as good of quality as FJ.

It would obviously depend on what you can get your pork butts for, but yeah, anything $10 or under per pound would be impossible to find around here, and our pork prices are fairly low.

The going price in our area averages $12/lb. This is based on pork butts going for $1.89/lb ($3.78/lb after 50% weight loss in cook) then times 3.25 markup.

$13.99 lb.

You are way to cheap unless your doing huge quantities.

I paid $10/lb at a very well known SC BBQ place, but they cook whole hogs.

Out here, $15 to $16 a pound.

$13.95/lb.
Curious on what the cost per lb is for pork butts back east. Here in cali, Farmer Johns was on sale for $1.49. RD's current price is $1.42, but I think that is for boneless, and not quite as good of quality as FJ.

The average selling price here is $12.50 per pound.

"themidniteryder" I pay $1.25 lb at the joint base commissary, and $1.29 at Wegmans. Both are everyday prices. They are cheaper than the case prices at most local wholesale locations. I just give them a couple days notice so they have full cases when I need them.

I sell mine for $12 a pound. With your pork being good, people will gladly pay for it. I'd suggest at least 12 and if your pork is above the BBQ joints in quality in your area (I'm sure it is with your competition background) you can push your price up higher. Ask for what you think it is worth. If you put a little more TLC than others, you can and should charge more.

Friday I paid $1.99, todays "normal" price. I need 20 butts for this coming Friday, I sure hope someone puts them back on sale as I really dont want the RD ones.

I'm in southern Ohio. We charge $12 a pound but if you buy 3lb or more we sell it for $10.

That is interesting, the Farmer John butts I have gotten were terrible. I will pass on them every time. I can get much better butts at the local Cash and Carry or RD. there might be a little extra fat, but, the butts are larger, more consistent and I get fewer skunky packages, or really odd ones. Last time I was at Cash and Carry, I picked up 36 pounds, it was around $1.20 a pound, no discount.

Landarc, I agree with you about the Farmer Johns. I am also in CA, and I personally dont like any of the FJ meats. RD has been good for me, but also Sam's

Back