Pork turn in box

HOG WILD BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here is a pic of our last turn in box at an FBA event. It didnt place very well. we ended up middle of the pack . we thought it looked good, but i guess the judges thought other wise. for all i know it might not have tasted worth a damn. just thought i would share this. any opinions or comments i will understand.

Attachments

• pork plate.jpg
    pork plate.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 350
I like the arrangement in the box. One thing that jumped out at me was the sauce on top of the pulled. If you want sauce on it, I would toss, and completely mix it up, to keep the "we poured or dabbed" it on top.

How did you think it tasted? I'm not familiar with the scoring of FBA, but do you get appearance, taste, tenderness scores broken out?

I like the arrangement in the box. One thing that jumped out at me was the sauce on top of the pulled. If you want sauce on it, I would toss, and completely mix it up, to keep the "we poured or dabbed" it on top.

How did you think it tasted? I'm not familiar with the scoring of FBA, but do you get appearance, taste, tenderness scores broken out?
yes sir, that is how they score it. i was kind of worried about the sauce on top of the pulled too.

From what I've seen of FBA boxes, you need more meat in there. Basically you use a bed of pulled pork as "garnish" to lay out your presentation.

Those are very decent, if not great, appearance scores.
Probably did not hurt you much due to the low weight for appearance scores.

Only 3??
Should be 6 scores total.

The above comments about more meat are good advice.

TIM
im not real sure what the other scores were. i dont have the score booklet in front of me, i wanted to put more pulled in the box, but i was afraid of covering up the appearance of the meat in the middle.

You will have 6 scores each for Presentation, Tenderness, and Taste. The 6 scores for Presentation are the top row of scores, 6 of them. More meat in the box will help, and sauce more evenly.

9.0 is what I would consider very respectable, if memory serves me they score from 5.0 (lowest) to 10, with 7.5 being average, so 9.0 is a very respectable score.

I was talking with someone about boxes and the thing that I was told that stuck with me was that to remember that the box is presented to the judges with the lid open facing them with the little lid latches towards them, so pack your box left to right not front to back as the nice shiny smoked outside is much more appealing than the cut side of the meat. Give them the appearance of the butt, ribs or whatever were just pulled out of the smoker, go for that look, cut them etc. as needed but pack so the cut edges are not something they see first, let them see the quality of the meat after pieces are removed from the box, the appearance scores are already entered by then and wont be changed.

Look at your box from the side instead of straight on like your picture shows, I think it looks nicer, oh yeah, be proud of that 9.0 !!

Last edited:
I'm not up on my FBA judging as I've not judged FBA in a couple of years. It's hard to tell since shadow is on left side of box but did you just drizzle some sauce on the pulled & nothing on the other cuts? Someone ding you for that reason??? Could also be your slices gave doubts as to money muscle or not. IIRC most FBA boxes use pulled pork as the "garnish" & put the rest on top of it as mentioned above. Maybe fill the bottom w/ pulled pork then put your chunks/slices going from left to right instead of front to back??? Could be you just had a tough table also as IIRC you can tell from FBA scoresheets if the table was a low/high scoring table. I'll see if I can find one of my old FBA contest scoresheets to see the way that you can tell that.
I went to the fba site & if I saw correctly you scored just under 180 overall in pork out of 200 (barnesville???) which means you probably avg about a 9 in a/t/t from the 6 judges which might equate out to about a 7-8 in KCBS judging.

I'm not up on my FBA judging as I've not judged FBA in a couple of years. It's hard to tell since shadow is on left side of box but did you just drizzle some sauce on the pulled & nothing on the other cuts? Someone ding you for that reason??? Could also be your slices gave doubts as to money muscle or not. IIRC most FBA boxes use pulled pork as the "garnish" & put the rest on top of it as mentioned above. Maybe fill the bottom w/ pulled pork then put your chunks/slices going from left to right instead of front to back??? Could be you just had a tough table also as IIRC you can tell from FBA scoresheets if the table was a low/high scoring table. I'll see if I can find one of my old FBA contest scoresheets to see the way that you can tell that.
I went to the fba site & if I saw correctly you scored just under 180 overall in pork out of 200 (barnesville???) which means you probably avg about a 9 in a/t/t from the 6 judges which might equate out to about a 7-8 in KCBS judging.
Yes it was in barnesville, i was worried about the drizzle myself, in our chicken box, we use a bed of breast meat rolled in bbq sauce. we are knocking on the door near the top ten in the chicken category with 14th place at smoke on the water and 13th place at barnesville. thanks for your help and suggestions.

Back