Western Maine - No Wood

BoneDaddy's

Take a breath!
Reaction score
So I just got the cooks packet from Western Maine Comp. One of the items I noticed is that we can't bring any "untreated" wood into the state. They packet says that there will be wood available on site. Anyone deal with this last year?

-Frank

take Mojobricks they go anywhere! unregulated - and you can now pick them up in AYERS MASS.

I did not cook last year but it is certainly not unusual that any state prohibits bringing in untreated wood.

That said Chad and Nicole Humphrey are involved with the event as they were the designers of the trophies and dable in many things BBQ. (Disclosure: they sponsor my team.)

They have a company called Maine Source which does many things, powder coating, metal work and Chad is a lumberjack so they also process and kiln dry wood for cooking.

I didn't see any enforcement last year. But in general, Maine is pretty careful about this kind of stuff. They have similar stuff for boats coming into state wrt invasive aquatic species. It's the beetle they are after in this case. I think you can pre-order from Humphrey's and pick it up there.

Last edited:
Let us worry about the wood. Save room in the truck for beer. I can email you an order form (special pricing for WMBBQ). Be sure to pre-order, some species will sell out. If you preorder, we will deliver it right to your site. This is the same wood that won the JACK!

for details:
nicole@msmco-metal.com

Humphrey's Chips and Chunks

Yup last year they conflicted, but they changed it this year. Awesome location; the showers alone are worth the trip.

Our season starts at Lex!!!

I cooked Maine last year and I may have only cooked in or attended 6 events but the facility and amenities at the Fryeberg Fairgrounds would be hard to beat for a contest...anywhere. No its not on the water or have breathtaking scenery in view from the site but the electric, water, showers, restrooms, and most and most and most of all the event staff went out of their way to be kind to teams. They even shared profits from the peoples choice tasting income with the teams that cooked the peoples choice. They gave out sponsors meat and came around the next day giving something like $30 for one day and $20 for the second if you cooked PC both days. They said it was just to help cover rubs and fuel costs. It was not promised they just did it. My wife insisted we return this year and we will. This contest will get huuuuge someday.

Oh yeah....Before we went last year I called and made some inquiries about the wood. I brought charcoal and MojoBricks but was told that anything kiln dried was considered treated/processed and was ok to take over the state line. Of course with Humphries delivering to your site why bother and just get top quality products delivered.

Let us worry about the wood. Save room in the truck for beer. I can email you an order form (special pricing for WMBBQ). Be sure to pre-order, some species will sell out. If you preorder, we will deliver it right to your site. This is the same wood that won the JACK!

for details:
nicole@msmco-metal.com

Humphrey's Chips and Chunks

Thanks Nicole...emailed you a bit ago

Back