Brisket - looks can be deceiving

Rev Beard

Reaction score
Picked up a small flat that I'm pretty sure had some point on it.

Wanted to try out a new rub I've been working on.

225-240 all the way for 6 hrs, wrapping around 3 hrs in when it hit 165ish.

It was probing pretty clean so I pulled it and into a cooler for an hour.

Had a nice smoke ring, rub sucked (too much salt) aaaand it was waay undercooked. Don't know what happened, probably pulled 30 minute early.

I wasn't going to post this but then looking at the pictures I took thought this one looked really good so I figured what the hell. Of course it tasted like chit but it did look damn good.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 134
Thanks for the post, does look very good. I've done the too much salt thing way more times than I can remember. Now I really hold back with salt and pepper. Sure makes a difference. good job though, that's how you learn.

Well, bummer on the level of being done, but, it does look good.

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't come out better, but if you're not failing, you're not trying. You can expand your horizons by trying different things and learning what works and what doesn't.

I highly recommend (as I always do) that you take notes on what you did and what you liked and didn't like about it along with what you would do differently next time.

Thanks guys. It was really only my second or third brisket that I've cooked so I can't really complain. I was happy just at the fact I kept the smoker steady for that long. Usually
it's an up and down battle I seem to always lose at. Oh well, live and learn.

Back