Weber kettle score

3 Weber kettles all steel handles and 1 of them is olive green. is there a way i can tell the age of them paid $17 a piece

Last edited:
$ 5.00 Moving Sale Find

Just happened to see a moving sale on the way down the road today.

Saw this and was told the FIRM price was $5, I asked if it included a bag of charcoal for that price.

6705260289_9731d170e8_z.jpg

I was quick to pay and leave before any suggestion from onlookers might have raised the price.

6705251815_80aa9cbede_z.jpg

Date code puts it at a 1998, with very little rust and only a few dings.

Keep up the great posts and I will post some pics after cleanup.

Kevin

6705254629_d701205684_z.jpg

A little caked on ash and typical rust on the grates, but all in all a good rescue.

I have really enjoyed this thread and wanted to contribute and not just sit by and watch everyone else have all the fun.

6705265501_b6d8430207_z.jpg

Wood handles are a little rough, but I will see if I can bring those back.

6705249797_3286526309_z.jpg

Last edited:
awesome deal. as a headsup, the legs are installed incorrectly. the leg without wheels should be in the same direction as the bowl handle. bet this cleans up nicely !

@ mbshop

Realized that as soon as I went to move it. it was in the 30's here and just pulled it out of the truck and threw the legs on for photos.

Thanks and good catch.

Kevin

if you are looking for good wood handles, fellow brethren Marty Leach makes just those and customizes them to how you want them. i have never gotten them or dealt with Marty personally but i have read plenty of posts of people who have and it seems you cant go wrong with his wood handles. i have seen pictures of them and they are truly a work of art

score!

I've had an OTG for a couple of years now. Learned just about everything I know about smoking on her. However, I could not pass up the chance to pick up a performer at clearance price ($199). I am very impressed with the performer burner. I had imagined it would just be a lazy yellow flame, but in reality it is quite the rocket. As an added fringe benefit, I use my performer all the time to start a chimney of fuel for my UDS.

Assembly 1
IMG_0435-1.jpg

Assembly 2
IMG_0436-1.jpg

The deck upon which she shall lie evermore, next to her older sister
IMG_0434-1.jpg

What to do with the stray kettle that you used the lid for a UDS???
Weber Redneck firepit!

100_1714.jpg

This is what I plan to do with my donor Weber. It kind of feels like a waste to do this to a Weber. Well I got it free and I have plenty of other grills.

I've had an OTG for a couple of years now. Learned just about everything I know about smoking on her. However, I could not pass up the chance to pick up a performer at clearance price ($199). I am very impressed with the performer burner. I had imagined it would just be a lazy yellow flame, but in reality it is quite the rocket. As an added fringe benefit, I use my performer all the time to start a chimney of fuel for my UDS.

Assembly 1
IMG_0435-1.jpg

Assembly 2
IMG_0436-1.jpg

The deck upon which she shall lie evermore, next to her older sister
IMG_0434-1.jpg

Nice grab at 199. But where those hubcaps be? The Weber package people forgot to include them?

I have a 22.5'' Black kettle my wife bought me almost 15 yrs ago & I still use it to this day. The only bad thing is the front handle is pretty much toast from wear & tear & the 2 good windstorms that knocked it over this year (that also bent he leg a bit). I also rescued an old Redhead that has all metal handles & no legs that some gal saw most wanted post on CL & she was selling it for $5. I originally wanted it for a UDS lid but don't know if I can do it! Search for another one I guess.

I'm naming this kettle Humpty Dumpy.
Installed the new one-touch cleaning system and ash catcher ring I ordered from Weber. Cleaned everying with 00 steel wood, even the bowl and lid. The steel wool worked good, thanks "swamprb" for the tip. Did not scratch the finish, like I thought it would. I had a few parts from old kettles and I used the best of them for the assembly, like wheels and legs.

AFTER
IMG_3666.jpg

BEFORE
IMG_3660.jpg

Looks like the King's Horses and the King's men put Humpty Dumpty back together again. That baby will last you another 20 yrs.

Fixed up this old 3 vent weber kettle. Had to replace the ash pan, both handles and the 3 bottom vents. With the 3 vent bowl, I can use this with my IQ 110. It was another weber that had been abused.

IMG_3714.jpg

I can touch up the rusty spots with some black paint when spring arrives.
IMG_3718.jpg

Nice grab at 199. But where those hubcaps be? The Weber package people forgot to include them?

I forgot to install it in the pic. The missing hubcap is sitting on the plastic adirondack to the left. Camouflaged no?

IMG_0435-1.jpg

My newly rebuilt 20 year old MasterTouch, this grill has moved with me coast to coast 4 times and grilled in 10 states. You wouldn't know it to look at it, but there has probably been literally a ton of meat cooked in that kettle. Still waiting on a few parts, like the rollers for the lid and wire Performer charcoal baskets. I'm also going to be mounting 2 side kick board on either side. All fasteners are stainless this time around. I figure now it's good for another 20 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0102Post.jpg
    IMG_0102Post.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_0104Post.jpg
    IMG_0104Post.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 526
Stunning red head Skorpio. What type of cleaner and pad do you use?

Inside is just Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaner overnight and about 2 rolls of paper towels, then SOS pads, then 0000 steel wool. Outside is SOS, 0000 steel wool, then rubbing compound followed by polishing compound. All the aluminum and stainless was finished off with Mothers Billet aluminum polish ( I restore old motorcycles, so I have all this stuff laying around :becky: ). Grates are new...obviously, so is the one touch and the ash bucket (it was corroded all the way through), but the ash bucket ring is a polished up original and the steel mount was derusted and painted with engine enamel , the rivet for the top damper is now a clevis pin with 2 washers and a spring ( all stainless steel ) which is way better than original, it keeps tension on it and will never get loose...and can be taken apart to clean it. Also replaced the triangle axle do-hickey and wheels, front leg got a crutch tip from the drug store. All the nuts that are inside the kettle are acorn nuts so there is no threads to get dirty.

So... could I have bought a new one touch gold for what I put in this? well yea, but it wouldn't be red and it wouldn't have had history... my history, so there you go. This grill has been my only means of cooking through the aftermath of 3 hurricanes, an earthquake and a windstorm. It's been grilled on in Chicago, Huntsville AL, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Charleston SC, Los Angeles, Tampa, and Naples FL. It's survived a dozen girlfriends, 2 German Sheperds (going on 3), a half a dozen cars, and several jobs. When I bought this grill web browsers weren't even a university research project yet and digital cell phones were still years away.

Back