• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Jack’s Old South BBQ School Review – My weekend at Myron Mixon’s House

Great write up. If it wasn't such a far location it would be something that I would consider. I took Harry Soos Slap Yo Daddy class in December and the 25 minute drive was perfect.

I have taken the shot gun MM don't impress me 1 bit be dam if I'd fatten his bottom line. Not that I need someone to teach me how to cook I don't, but you can get a great education right here foe free!

Personally - it was worth the money to me of just making two new friends in Tampa that our families have become friends and cook together. That alone as well as the food was amazing experience.

I took the class a year ago and although there were no kegs at the time it was still worth the money. As you mentioned every penny. If you look closely at many of the recipes in the book and compare against your notes from the class, you will see a difference from the recipes in the book, especially around injections, rubs, sauces and cook times.

I have bumped into Myron at a number of different cook-off’s over the last year or so and he remembered me each time, took the time to speak with me (again) and was just as pleasant as could be. I have contemplated doing the class again just for the brisket and whole hog portions of the class. It really does teach you a few things, like how bad some of my cooking was until I get some lessons from a master.

I had heard that Myrons class was not hands on,sounds like i heard wrong. Nice review i took Harry Soos class and it was only one day but was well worth it, may have to take it again to see what i missed ( meat prep):biggrin1:

I had heard that Myrons class was not hands on,sounds like i heard wrong. Nice review i took Harry Soos class and it was only one day but was well worth it, may have to take it again to see what i missed ( meat prep):biggrin1:

You could see from the pictures we hand our hands in there... Wagu's, ribs (baby and spares), shoulder, chicken and butts were at our tables. We had 4-5 people at our table and we all took our chance as well as had one of his "black shirts" with out. He said the Wagu's for the glass were like $5000.

Yes, there were Kegs too and MM was drinking Crown :) (per my first picture).

You seem to be very impressed with that $5k figure. That is only 1/9 of the amount he took in receipts, but let's look at that amount.

$5k / 60 = $83.33 per person. In quantity, I can get grade 5 waygu brisket (the GOOD stuff) for about that. Did each person cook a brisket and take it home? (or split it between two people) That actual sounds like a good return on the investment. A quality rack of ribs and a brisket would add a lot of value.

I took Myron's class several years ago, before he started teaching at home. We met at Stephen F. Foster state park for the weekend. Myron, David Hare, James Brett, and another cook who's name escapes me right now, taught. We prepped Friday afternoon, had a meal and planning session, and met back at 3 a.m. to start things off. Myron still had his old pipe smoker "The Hunley" and James brought a couple of other cookers. This was just about the time Myron got into marketing the "Jack's Old South" name more widely.
We did all four meats, no wagyu, no whole hog, but stayed real busy on the "competition schedule". Great weekend with discussion about rubs, sauce, injections, marinades, cookers, temps, time, foil, etc. We had about 20 people and it was very hands on.
We had teams represented from FL, GA, TN, SC, NC, TX, and CA...maybe others. This was, by far, the best money I ever spent on a "hobby". I still drop a note to Myron now and then and still order his rub -- though it has gone up! Back then I got 25# for $75.00. Stuff goes for $200 now!! I don't buy it 25# at a time any more. If I get the chance to buy another volume cooker I'd like to have Myron's Whole Hog cooker. Simple and straight forward design and great capacity.

Did each person cook a brisket and take it home? (or split it between two people) That actual sounds like a good return on the investment. A quality rack of ribs and a brisket would add a lot of value.[/QUOTE said:
There was enough meat left over for everyone to take a huge bag full if they wanted too. Most opt'd not too because they flew in and taking that kind of thing on a plane is a "PIA". The folks that drove took coolers full.

That said, breakfast on Sunday was "whole hog", enough to feed everyone at the table twice. Then on to Ribs, chicken, butt and brisket. If you left there hungry then you dont like BBQ.

I've been thinking about taking his class. I think it would be worth the money without the food. Most people probably spend that much, or more, on meat trying to learn good method on their own. The learning curve can be pretty expensive.

Lotta hate going on from Arkansas in this thread.

Lotta ignorance, too.

Wow, been called lots of things, but seldom ignorant. Sorry if I made you feel inadequate. Not my intention at all. (I bet it had something to do with the other poster bringing up the college thing. Remember, I just responded to that)

In my last post I acknowledged that there may have been value that i had not initially figured in and it was confirmed that some people left with coolers full of quality meat.

Just so you understand, a cooler full of that meat (fully prepared) could be in the hundreds of dollars.

The next class I'll take is Myron's. Went to Harry Soo's a few months ago and love the guy and am glad I went, but his class is a "backyard class" and I didn't learn much. But a good time was had. He may come out with a comp class.

Thanks for the review. You went. you spent and you shared with us. Good enough for me.

On the cost part yeah we talked about that that was only the cost of the briskest not the ribs, chicken, shoulders, butts and hog as well as the injections, rubs plus the food they supplied as well as the 10 or so people he employed for the class... So there was some out lay but I'm not feeling sorry he made a nice profit and that's what he's in the teaching business for. I don't take offense to him making money at all heck if I could I would. As far as the take home I purchased a small cooler since I was driving and most people couldn't take due to flights... We had some good q at home for a fess days as well. Again this was my experience I am sure it's not for everyone and I could see how he could rub people the wrong way...

Just my experience I thought I would share no offense taken from anyone here life's too short for that

Just my experience I thought I would share no offense taken from anyone here life's too short for that

I agree with you on that point!

Thanks again for the awesome review of the class!:mrgreen:

Back