• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New offset build started ( With Pics)

dodgeramsst2003

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Finally made some progress today on my offset build. got the bunks and rollers stripped off the trailer, and got the main smoke chamber mounted, and tacked into place. Had enough time to cut the corners of the door before calling it a night to spend some time relaxing. I will be updating this post as I progress if there's interest in this sort of thing.

Attachments

• 100_0229.jpg
    100_0229.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 2,282
  • 100_0230.jpg
    100_0230.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,256
  • 100_0231.jpg
    100_0231.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,249
  • 100_0232.jpg
    100_0232.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,252
Interest?
You know this is really a pron site!

Great start. A few questions, if you don't mind.
1. What is the axle weight on the boat trailer you are using? I had thought about a similar setup, but was worried about the overall weight of the smoker on the trailer.

2. Actually, an extension of #1. What will the total weight of your trailer when finished?

3. The boat trailer, will the metal on it support the weight of the smoker while bouncing down the road? Do you plan to reenforce it in any way?

I'm just curious, I hav all but abandoned my ideas and the build based on those questions. If you have some viable solutions, I may revisit my build. Thanks.
Looks great anyhow!

Upon further picture peekage, disregard #3. You're gold with the tube steel.

Great start. A few questions, if you don't mind.
1. What is the axle weight on the boat trailer you are using? I had thought about a similar setup, but was worried about the overall weight of the smoker on the trailer.

2. Actually, an extension of #1. What will the total weight of your trailer when finished?

3. The boat trailer, will the metal on it support the weight of the smoker while bouncing down the road? Do you plan to reenforce it in any way?

I'm just curious, I hav all but abandoned my ideas and the build based on those questions. If you have some viable solutions, I may revisit my build. Thanks.
Looks great anyhow!

EDIT: On a side note, check out the boats section of craigslist, most boat trailers are waaaayyyy overloaded, and the frames hold up fine. The only concern I really have is the axle, so don't let a c channel frame stop you from building yours.
Txschutt, all great questions that I expected of anyone that looked at the trailer. Since the sticker is worn beyond reading, from the manufacturer, the axle is either a 1250, or 1500lb. I expect the finished product to weigh in right about 1100-1300 lbs fully loaded. I will take it to a scale when I'm finished as I need the weight to get a plate for it. If I'm over I'll replace the axle (they're cheap to buy) My reasoning is, the trailer itself weighs 300lbs tops, the smoke chamber weighs right around 350 lbs, I figure with the firebox, warming/cooking chamber, and all the other "features" I'll be right at the max of the axle, but we'll see.

the outside frame of the trailer is tube steel, just the cross members are "c" channels, so structural integrity isn't a problem. But, if I did have c channels for the outside frame, I wouldn't worry as there are plenty of ways to make the smoke chamber part of the structure. My smoke chamber is two pieces, one is 1/4, and the other is 3/16, not by plan, but things got messed up in relaying of what I wanted ( someone gave and rolled the steel for me free of charge so I'm working with what I have.) The two pieces together have plenty of strength, so you could weld diagonal braces to the outside frame to tie the chamber into it and give it more strength. I'm hoping I won't have to replace the axle, but if I do, then, that's the way it goes.

that's awesome, dunno if you said... dont remember but neways, what are you using as your "drums"?old propane tanks? great build, wish i could git my hands on that big stuff!!! would love to build my own trailer smoker

that's awesome, dunno if you said... dont remember but neways, what are you using as your "drums"?old propane tanks? great build, wish i could git my hands on that big stuff!!! would love to build my own trailer smoker

This was 1/4, and 3/16 steel plate that was rolled and welded.

It looks awesome!
Can't wait to see it up close.
Keep up the good work, Chris.

It's gonna look even better with a fresh coat of green paint in it!

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and encouragement. I don't have any new pics right now, as I've only made limited progress this week. I have three sides of the door cut, and two hinges in place. I ran out of O2 for the torch last night, and had to go get another cylinder tonight, then it all went down to toilet. My torch is acting up, and I'm at a loss right now as to what is wrong. going to get some advise tomorrow at work and see if I can finish the last cut on the bottom edge tomorrow night. Should have pictures of the open door by this weekend. BTW, if anyone is really good, with an O/A setup and can lend me some advice, please send me a PM, I would appreciate it.

I've got a door!

Just a couple of pics of progress. I managed to get the door cut open tonight. Still need to add two more hinges, but it opens and closes!!

Attachments

• 100_0233.jpg
    100_0233.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 863
  • 100_0234.jpg
    100_0234.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 861
Good looking build! Do you have plans that you're working off of or is this a "Got it all figured out in my head" kinda deal?

Love to see more as it progresses!!

Back