So, Why Do I Need a Santuko?

Thanks again everyone. I went ahead and ordered the 7" Victorinox which is inexpensive enough to try out. I realize it probably will only give me a rough idea of what a high end model will do.

I have a Santuko but I still reach for my regular chefs knife more often than not. Most of my chopping I keep the knife point on the board and rock and with the Santuko you have to lift the backside of the knife more so. I find this very awkward and uncomfortable which is why I tend to reach for my chef knife more.

I guess I'm a little late to the party... I don't have much to add to what's already been said, except to offer up a cheap (but very nice for the price) hand made Japanese wa-Santoku for anyone wanting to try something new. The knife brand is Tosagata. I own one of these in a nakiri shape and it is one of my favorites. They come razor sharp and can be easily maintained by using a CrO charged leather strop. The blade is hand made from three layers, the center is Japanese white carbon steel (shiro-ko) hardened to about 63 rockwell, and the sides are made from softer iron in kurouchi style. It's a hell of a knife for under $40...

This is the 6½" Santoku...

05.101.21.jpg

And here's the link for the best price (there's no picture on this site, but this is the correct item)...

http://www.hidatool.com/cutlery-and...ives/tosa-santoku-all-purpose-knife-165mm-6-5

And here's a pic of the Tosagata Nakiri that I have...

05.100.20.jpg

And the link to where I bought it...

http://www.hidatool.com/tosa-nakiri-vegetable-knife-165mm-6-5

As cheap as they are, these knives are serious cutting instruments. The edge is super hard and super sharp, and they are not stainless. So, they require a higher level of care than other kitchen knives you may be used to. But, the reward for the extra care is in the use of them... They cut wonderfully!

I love the Tosagata-style knives, they were my favorites from my grandmothers kitchen. Sadly, when my grandmother died, they went to her son (which makes sense, but, well...) Hida Tool is an excellent company to deal with as well.

Tosagata refers to a country-style knife, they are made in a limited region of Japan and are typically laminated steel, or steel and iron, they make excellent and tough blades. That being said...

The Victorinox offers a good deal, it is a good choice for the money and due to how the steel is made, it has a fine tooth, that aids in cutting many things. It does not cut as smoothly as fine forged steel, but, it is a very useful tool.

Back